[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: compost (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 10:24:08 -0600
From: Richard Egg <r-egg@tamu.edu>
To: sustag@beta.tricity.wsu.edu
Cc: jasbatt@usit.net
Subject: Re: compost (fwd)

>> From: James Battle <jasbat@use.usit.net>

>> Sirs:
>> I am at present trying to sell the city commisioners of the city of
>> Lawrenceburg,TN on the idea of co-composting msw and sewer sludge to make
>> compost for sustainable agriculture. So far 2 yes and 3 no. Not good.
>> Do you have information you can share about how many tons of compost to
>> grow 100+bu corn per acre on a continuing basis? How many more to produce 2
>> bales of cotton, etc?
>> I would appreciate anything you have. Please E-mail me at jasbat@usit.net

James:

There is a review article in the April, 1993, Biocycle (vol 34, no 4) that
discusses the application of msw compost to agricultural soils. The authors
suggest that the greatest benefit is in the imporvement of physical and
chemical properties of the soil (organic matter, water holding capacity,
bulk density, pH, cation exchange capacity) rather than the fertilizer
value.

If you add compost to supply all the nitrogen the crop needs, you may be
overapplying phosphorous and soluble salts. However, the article suggests
that 10-30 tons/acre of MSW compost improved the properties of most soils
without any phytoxicity effects.

If you don't have access to 'Biocycle' call or e-mail me and I'll send you
a copy. Biocycle has had a number of articles on composting during the last
5 years or so.

Richard Egg
Agricultural Engineering Dept,
Texas A&M University