[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

compost: tilling fall lea

AGRAWAL@GRACIE TO ALL
Discussing: compost: tilling fall lea ON 12/06/94
Replied To: Wednesday, December 14, 1994 01:10

A> Well, our instructor said that tilling leaves under is a no-no! By
A> tilling them in the soil the bacteria that decomposes them requires
A> nitrogen and it will take it away from the soil leaveing it less
A> fertile . I didn't notice any soil problem with mine garden.

Greetings,

Many studies have shown that tilling in leaves at a loading rate of about
40 dry tons per acre, approximately 1" wet and compacted, 3" dry, is
beneficial to food crops. The most recent and best study was by Dr. Art
Peterson at the University of Wisconsin, Madison in 1992.

The issue of nitrogen starvation which your so called expert alludes to
is being proven to be largely over-stated and not the problem that was
once suspected. New studies from Asia are demonstrating that high wood
fiber compost is quite beneficial to soils.

Your composting expert seems to be taught in the chemical process of
feeding soils and might benefit from a more interdisciplinary perspective
on the value of the soil ecosystem, which is supported by humus,
decomposing organic matter, and annual applications of fresh organic
materials.

The soil is self balancing in relation to diseases and fertilizer
balance once the beneficial soil ecosystem is in place. Natural anti-
biotics are being shown to be more beneficial in controlling disease than
the heat of the composting process. In the absence of N, high carbon
feedstocks are often colonized by fungi and other microbes not associated
with thermophyllic composting. They are excellent in decomposing high
carbon materials and leaving rich humus in its place.

Nature and earthworms till in raw leaves.  You can too.

Mr Compost~~~

 * RM 1.3 02460 * What's all this fuss about endangered feces?

   Granite City Connection (612) 654-8372 28.8K 3 Lines
   Email: jim.mcnelly@granite.mn.org (Jim Mcnelly)