Re: Gama Grass

On Tue, 28 Feb 1995 SALEM@AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU wrote:

> Requesting information on Eastern Gama Grass:  specifically, yield potential
> ; fertilizer recommendations; establishment and management practices; and
> feed value (anrecommendations; establishment and management practices; and

What was known as the SCS in Allegany County, along with the Soil and
Water Conservation District, tried some trials using Eastern Gama Grass
here in Allegany County NY.  The idea was to find a grass to provide
another choice to dairy farmers who need to use a lot of organic N from
spreading manure.  We had BIG problems trying to establish the stuff.  The
seed germination was very low, and I think that the variety used was not
adapted at all to the severe weather we get on occasion.  I do not know
what variety was used in these tests, however.  I would suggest a higher
seeding rate to try and compensate for the low germination, and a good
weed control program.  One other thought I have is that when we have
species that are easier to establish, are high quality when harvested on
time, and have high forage yields, there had better be a yield and or
quality advantage to using gama grass after all the trouble it was for our
SCS and SWCD people.

We did not have good luck.  Maybe the variety you mentioned will perform
better in New Jersey than in Western NY.

Paul Westfall                    internet: pwestfal@cce.cornell.edu
5435A County Road 48             VOICE: (716)268-7644
Belmont  NY  14813               FAX:   (716) 268-5939