Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 15:29:35 -0500
From: Ruth Schmidt <schmidt@biosun.harvard.edu>
To: mgarden@listproc.wsu.edu
Subject: growing hay for pet rabbits

My fellow rabbit enthusiasts participating in the Housebun mailing list
would like to find out all there is to know about growing grass hays for
our furry companions in our home gardens and/or on our window sills.  Hay
is an essential component of the rabbit diet, needed to maintain the
motility of their digestive systems.  Unfortunately there seem to be only 2
types of hay which are readily available commercially:  timothy (which many
rabbits find too tasteless and dry to bother with) and alfalfa (which is
too high in calories and calcium to provide on an unlimited basis).  I have
heard of some people who can get oat and clover hays, but they appear to be
regionally available (I have not seen them here in the Northeast).

We would appreciate advice on any/all of the following points:
1 - suggest different varieties of grass hays for us to try which are
edible and easy to grow
2 - commercial sources for these hay seeds
3 - growth requirements and hardiness (which do better in sun vs. partial
shade, large-scale vs. small-scale cultivation, types of soil needed, etc)
4 - how to prepare the soil and plant the seeds (start in flats, vs.
scatter it on the ground?)
5 - good reference books on this subject

I will be sharing a summary of all your responses with Housebun readers,
and we all thank you most sincerely in advance!

-Ruth
schmidt@biosun.harvard.edu