Re: beef cow rations

In regards to the question about feeding straw and ground barley -

I didn't see the article in BEEF TODAY so I don't have the specifics on
the ration. However, this is the type of ration we've been trying to lead
eastern Montana ranchers away from. Protein IS important. You may be
actually able to meet an NRC requirement for protein with a straw-barley
ration but you alter the feed value of the ration. By feeding a high
starch energy supplement (barley, corn, etc), the digestibility of the
straw will be decreased. By feeding a protein source (alfalfa hay or
oilseed meals or byproduct feeds with CP over about 20%) you can improve
the digestibility of the straw and usually increase intake of your low
quality roughage. Some of this comes down to cost-effectiveness. The
cheapest ingredient in the ration is usually the low quality roughage, a
small amount of protein may improve the feed value of this roughage.
There are a number of published papers on the effects of energy versus
protein supplements for low quality roughages as well as several review
papers on the subject. One that I often send out to producers with
questions was written by Dave Sanson from the University of Wyoming and
published in the Proceedings of the Range Beef Cow Symposium XIII
(Cheyenne, Wyoming December 1993). He does some calculations in it on
what effects the positive associative effects of feeding a protein
supplement has on diet TDN.
Hope this is of some help. Let me know if you would like more information.

Elaine Grings
USDA-ARS
Fort Keogh Livestock and Range Research Lab
Miles City, MT 59301

Phone:(406)232-8202
FAX:(406)232-8209
Email:egrings@ag.gov