Hay losses

I am looking for documentation on how much hay can be lost as a result of
storage, transportation, and wastage by livestock. I am trying to compare
the relative efficiency of grazing meadows vs. haying them, but I need
some credible estimate of these hay losses to complete the picture. In this
area (the Nebraska Sandhills) most hay is put up in stacks rather than
bales. Anyone familiar with publications which address this?

Thanks!

Marc R. Horney
grad student, ruminant nutrition/range management
University of Nebraska - Lincoln