Re: puna

Neil:
'Puna' chicory(Cichorium intybus L.) is a perennial herb plant that looks
similar to leafy lettuce.  It is one of a few commercially marketed
chicories, including 'Good Hunt' and 'Forage Feast' chicories.  These are
generally the same in their behavior, reflecting the fact that the forage
chicory breeders are only in their first few generations of breeding.

So, speaking generally about chicories...chicory performs very well in a
blend or on its own. It is suited to well drained or moderately drained
soils with medium to high fertility levels and a pH of 5.5 or greater.  If
managed properly,it produces leafy growth which is higher in nutritive and
mineral content than alfalfa and cool season grasses.  Protein levels range
between 10 and 32 percent depending on plant maturity and annual dry matter
yields of 6 tons/acre have been obtained.  It has a deep tap root which
provides for tolerance to drought conditions.

Chicory can be harvested 80-100 days after planting.  For optimal
performance and persistence, chicory should be rotationally strip grazed,
or machine harvested.  Optimal harvest height is 12-18 inches, leaving a
stubble height of 1.5 inches.   If stalks should appear, immediately graze
or mow to keep the plant vegitative and force new growth.

I have more information available that I would be happy to fax or mail on
Puna, Good Hunt, and Forage Feast.  Also, Penn State has a sheet entitled
"Forage chicory - Agronomy Facts 45".  If anyone finds information on the
web regarding chicory, I'd like to add it to my web page links.

Jonathan Rupert
Ampac Seed Company
http://www.forages.css.orst.edu/~ampac/