from Neal Martin (marti007@maroon.tc.umn.edu)

TO:	Forage and Grassland Workers

RE:	Postdoctoral Research Associate

Below is a Postdoctoral Research Position that can be filled immediately.
This position is supported by a DOE Grant which is the pre-construction
phase of building a Power Plant at Granite Falls Minnesota to generate 50 to
75 Megawatts of electricity from alfalfa stems.  We can only guarantee 12
months employment; but we have a good chance to begin the construction phase
within 12 to 18 months.  The next funding phase could last 3 years.

Please contact me or have your potential students contact me (612-625-3747
Voice, 612-625-4797 FAX, or marti@maroon.tc.umn.edu) or Craig
Sheaffer(612-625-7224).

Postdoctoral Research Associate-- Near Infrared Reflectance Spectroscopy
(NIRS) analysis of alfalfa hay and alfalfa products.

The successful candidate will have documented experience in forage crop
quality evaluation.   Specific experience investigating forage quality
evaluation methods for alfalfa, NIRS analysis of forage crops and laboratory
quality control measures are preferred.  The postdoctoral research associate
will have responsibility for identification of new testing procedures of
alfalfa hay and processed alfalfa products needed to develop alfalfa plant
parts as sources of biomass to generate electricity via gasification and
alfalfa leaf products as high income sources for traditional and
nontraditional livestock users of alfalfa.  Quality traits of interest
include prediction of leaf content in baled alfalfa hay, amount of grass
contamination, protein and fiber content of leaf and stem products,
prediction of protein degradability, etc.  A quality control program will be
initiated to support MnVAP (Minnesota Valley Alfalfa Producers) in their
development of an efficient alfalfa production, harvest, storage and
marketing program.  MnVAP  is projected to be the only cooperative  in the
US to generate 50 to 75 megawatts of electricity from farm grown biomass.

The postdoctoral research associate will work as a member of a team
including agronomists, plant breeders, animal nutritionists, engineers and
economists in developing a value-added alfalfa processing and utilization
system.

Funding:  Department of Energy and University of Minnesota.

Salary:  $25,000