Re: Emergency Forage

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Mike Ferree wrote:

> Dear Forage Group,
>
> Working with a small dairy farm in East Central Indiana who needs to fill two upright silos. They like to rely upon corn silage and haylage. Due to the wet spring they may not get to plant corn and hay acres are minimal. They are considering the emergenc
y crops such as sorghum-sudan, millet etc. They also see some advertising for products called "Pro-Ton" with forage sorghum, forage beans and peas. Any of you have comments to share about these less commonly used crops for forages. The producers would like
 to know the pro's and cons of each before planting. Their pasture situation is bleak as well. I'd appreciate any comments.

> Thanks,
> Mike Ferree
> mike_ferree@acn.purdue.edu

We have worked with Japanese (not german, or hungarian,or foxtail millet).
 It likes wet conditions, warm conditions, lots of N.  Have had NEL as
high as .73.  we are planning on doing some digestibility trials to see if
milk production supports these values.  ADF has run from a low of 21.7 to
a high of 45.1.  The latter had headed out, which brings us to your
problem.  for milk cows we recommend cutting the third week in July as the
head comes out the fourth week and ADF increases.  this leaves little time
for them to plant and harvest - but it does grow fast in a month, but
still probably only 1/4 of its potential (we have harvested 17 tons of 70%
moisture feed from a earlier planting.

A better suggestion would be oats planted at 4 bu/A the first of August
with a good N supply.  Harvest would be in mid or late September.  We have
had samples as high as .74 NEL and fiber so low we had to add a fiber
source to the TMR.  Under good growing conditions we have gotten 4
tons/acre of dry matter.  In last years drought the oats planted Aug 1 got
3 inches tall by the end of Sept! - there was no harvest then.
tom kilcer