Re: flood-damaged hay

the first problem is damage to the machinery during harvest
the second problem is balancing a ration, what is the dry matter composed
of dirt or digestible material
the BIGGEST problem is pollution by e. coli.  we had a herd that got into
feed (pasture) that was flooded and may have drank flood waters.  Cows
dropped production like a stone, (60 - 80 lbs down to 20 or less)  Vet
said rumen was OK but not working.  cows had 104 fever, no appatite, made
a goose look constipated as they were walking firehoses.  Larry Chase
recommended 8 - 10 Oz of yeast.  Most drank it, a few were force fed.
Snapped the herd right out of it (except one that was too gone and died)
motor oil pollution is also a problem in flooding.
Can he use it as a bedding material?