Re: lactating dairy cows grazing switchgrass

>I have a producer interested in grazing his dairy herd on
>switchgrass. What can we expect when dairy cows are grazing switchgrass?
>Jimmy Henning
>jhenning@ca.uky.edu

I don't know about dairy grazing of switchgrass, but have you ever looked
into flaccidgrass for dairy grazing.  Is it adapted in Kentucky?  How cold
tolerant is it?  We plan to start looking at it in Arkansas this year.  It
is rhizomatous, so it should fill in better than switchgrass.  North
Carolina State has developed 'Carostan' and tested it there, but I'd like to
know of other people's experiences with flaccidgrass and how it compares
with switchgrass in mid-latitudes and bermudagrass in southern areas.  Jim
Green considers it won't go beyond being a specialty grass rather than a
widely used grass, but I figure it would work well for dairy grazing.
Chuck West
cpwest@comp.uark.edu