Utilizing dormant alfalfa

Dear collegues --

Received this e-mail from Robert Stephenson in regards to utilizing alfalfa after a freeze. I have not heard of such a problem with alfalfa..... do any of you have information regarding potential problems to cattle or horses utilizing frozen alfalfa????

Please REPLY-TO "Robert J. Stephenson" <<agbb@fhsu.edu>

Here is the text of the e-mail from Robert:

I had someone ask me about some alfalfa they recently cut.  They

laid it down after the snow and cold temps.  They are going to bale it

and wanted to feed to cattle and horses.  They were concerned about

killing animals.  I said I was not aware of such a problem.  I know that

there are problems with summer annuals, namely sorghums after a freeze

with HCN or prussic acid poisoning.  Do you know of a problem with

alfalfa after a hard freeze?

Thanks!

John O. Fritz			agrojof@ksu.edu

Department of Agronomy		TEL:  (785) 532-5539

Kansas State University		FAX:  (785) 532-6094

Manhattan, KS  66506-5501