Re: Rural and Farm Recycling Questionairre

Andy,

In your rather romantisized picture, you raise an interesting point. Of
course, an old appliance on a junk pile is a rusted piece of ... junk. It
is there because noone wants it, or the farmer would have sold it! But
used appliances, especially refridgerating equipement and junked cars,
are also sources of toxic waste, and should be properly disposed of.
Unfortunately, if you have a place to dump stuff, it is tempting to save
yourself the dumping fees, and some things you can't get landfills to
take. My neighbor just bulldozed his "precious items" into the creek that
runs between our properties. Said items included old pesticide drums, and
copy machine toner bottles (this is a real modern farmer).

And by the way, the useful stuff doesn't go on the juck heap, it gets
saved in the barn.

--
Karen Stark
ks36@cornell.edu

"A life can be said to be decadent when it loses its grasp on the
innermost nerve of its functioning, when it is disrupted at its inmost
core so that while thinking itself full it is actually draining and
laming itself with every step and act. A society can be said to be
decadent if it so functions as to encourage a decadent life, a life
addicted to what is inhuman by its very nature."

Jan Patocka, "Heretical Essays in the Philosphy of History"