[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: News Advisory: Still Crazy -- no nuke waste problem, just doesn't exist ....

 (Scott Nudds) wrote:
>Rod Adams <atomicrod@aol.com> wrote:
>: This industry had already built one facility and
>: had another one well underway that would have provided a vast amount
>: of storage space for fuel awaiting recycling.
>
>  What proof do you have that this repository would have been safe and
>effective?  In order for you to make the statement above, a track record
>must have been established.  As there was none, your comment is little
>more than wishful thinking.
>

>All industries can be put out of business overnight.  I just read an
>article about an American broom manufacturer who will soon be out of
>business due to NAFTA.  This is the cost of doing business.
>
>It appears to me that if such a repository had been constructed and was
>ready for operation, it would have been filled by now.  Filled with fuel
>waste that was not reprocessed, and waste that will just have to be dug
>up again if it is to re-enter the fuel cycle.

Scott,

You really should research before you respond.  The facility that
Commonwealth Edison (near your neck of the North Woods, I believe) built
at Morris Illinois, has been storing fuel for, lets see, 35 years? They
have had no accidents and it really is a quiet operation.  Been there,
seen it.

If you think that a $500 million facility is the equivalent of a broom
factory and that executive fiat with no recourse is an acceptable
business condition, you should become familiar with the business climates
in countries where those conditions exist.  I understand that it is hard
to gather investment capitol when you have to worry about the political
stability of country.

Finally Scott, "dug up"?  the fuel in Morris has been cooling in large
tanks of water, the preferred method of storing fresh spent fuel, and
until dry casking came on line, the only way available for comercial
reactors.

It amazes me that the people of this american continent will put up with
the boondoggle that nuclear waste disposal has become.

Scott, I don't want to embarass you and please don't feel that you have
to respond, But May i ask you three questions? They are relevant to
Nuclear Waste disposal methods.

What do you suppose the curie content of an amount of spent nuclear fuel
that has been stored for ten years is compared to the curie content of
fresh out of the reactor spent nuclear fuel?

What do you suppose is the curie content of the soil where you live?

What do you suppose is a safe radiation level?

Most people can't give realistic answers to any of these questions, but I
expect that you, even though you don't profess to be an expert in these
matters, can give a reasonable answer.

Wally Taylor