[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: small scale ethanol production

Not entirely true.  India has been using biogas for years and the US is
just starting to come on board.  Look at the US EPA web page and go into
the AgStar Program for information on modern workable biogas systems.

Fuel alcohol will be more expensive than the petrol that it replaces
because of subsidies to the petroleum industry (oil depletion allowance)
and economies of scale in the production of oil products.  Commercial
alcohol is subsidized by special tax incentives and the sale of CO2 gas as
a by-product.  ADM has this game tightly controlled.  So while there are
plans for small ETOH plants, they are not economically useful under current
tax law.

Best bet is to sell your barley, oats, and fire wood on the open market and
buy liquid fuel.
Aaron

Tom Abeles <tabeles@tmn.com> wrote in article
<Pine.GSO.3.93.970102105502.23511D-100000@purple.tmn.com>...