[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Effect of cattle stocking rate on soil P (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:48:08 -0500 (EST)
From: "Dr.Morteza Mozaffari" <mmoz@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU>
To: SOILS-L@CRCVMS.UNL.EDU, soil-chem@soils.umn.edu,
    sustag@beta.tricity.wsu.edu
Subject: Effect of cattle stocking rate on soil P

 Dear Soil Scientists:

  As a part of a multiagency agro-ecology project we are planning a new
experiment  to evaluate the effect of   cattle stocking rates on water
quality, soil quality, animal performance, and forae growth.

 The soil component of this experiment is evaluating the effect of cattle
stocking rate on soil test P (Mehlich 1  extractable P) and P sorption
capacity. There are four cattle stocking rates and the experiment is
replicated   twice. Each plot is 50 acres.  I have two questions for the
group: and I will appreciate if any body can share   his/her ideas and
experiences with me.

  1. Does any body know of other experiemnts that have evaluated the effect
of cattle or sheep stocking rates    on  soil nutrients?

  2. (My Burning Question!): Given the variability of these fields due to
(1) natural soil variability, and (2)     variability of manure deposition
by grazing animals, what sampling strategy should we follow?

  I appreciate if any body can share his/her ideas and experiences with me.
Please excuse cross posting.

  Thank You

 M. Mozaffari