[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Strawberries

>Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 15:11:18
>To: kmarsh@iol.ie
>From: Reuben Ausher <ausher@agri.huji.ac.il>
>Subject: Strawberries
>
>Hi
>What's so bad about soil treatments (MB) applied prior to planting, and no
residues detected in the produce? The same being true for pesticides as long
as the tolerance levels for pesticide residues are met by growers. Safety
margins are enormous.
>Basically under subtropical conditions such as Fl, Ca, Spain or Israel
there is an unfortunate abundance of sucking insects: western flower thrips,
aphids, red spider mites, and foliar and soil-borne diseases. We have
reduced in my country last year on experimental scale use of pesticides by
30% on strawberries and are expanding the area under this scheme. Further,
there is room for promotion of biological control practices.
>Regards,
>R. Ausher

Reuben Ausher
Director
Department of Crop Protection
Extension Service
Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Developement
P.O.Box 7054, Tel Aviv 61070, Israel
FAX     972-3-6971664
Phones: 972-3-6971715 (Ofc.)
        972-8-9453474 (Res.)