[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

SOFTWARE: Manure & Smart Pitchfork (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 1994 15:52:06 -0500
From: Mark Varner <varner@UMD5.UMD.EDU>
To: Multiple recipients of list DAIRY-L <DAIRY-L@UMDD.UMD.EDU>
Subject: Manure & Smart Pitchfork

A question was asked concerning budgeting for expenses associated with
manure on a dairy farm. We've not had that question before, so we have
nothing stored. However, Phil Goodrick announced Smart Pitchfork about a
year ago. A short description is below:

"SMART PITCHFORK#

Philip R. Goodrich and Zhongyi Sun

A user-friendly expert system computer program SMART PITCHFORK is
available to assist livestock producers utilize manure more efficiently
for sustainable crop production, reduction of energy inputs and pollution
control.  Animal manure nutrient information and nutrient application
plans are determined from rules and calculations bypassing the normal time
consuming hand calculations which hinder the farmer or the custom
applicator.  SMART PITCHFORK allows the client to quickly see the options
and understand how the advice was determined. "

The information for retreiving a better description of Smart Pitchfork
is below. Please note you will still have to contact Phil to get a copy
of the software. Phil reads Dairy-L, and perhaps he'll update us.

Hope that helps.

Mark Varner
varner@umd5.umd.edu
==================
 Instructions for Getting File from the Listserv Software

 To get a copy of the file, send an e-mail message to:

      listserv@umdd.umd.edu

 Put the following line in the body of the message:

      GET WASTE TXT

 Please note that this file is about 8 Kb in size and it contains
 about 1400 words.
 Instructions for getting the file by anonymous ftp
 To get a copy, ftp to yorick.umd.edu (128.8.10.37) and use anonymous as
 the login id and your e-mail address as the password. The file is located
 in the pub/dairy-l directory, and is named:

      waste.zip

 Please note that this is a binary file, so set your transfer method
 appropriately. For more detailed information on anonymous ftp from the
 Dairy-L site, send an e-mail message to the listserv address above and
 put the following line in the body of the message:

      GET DAIR-FTP TXT

Monday, Oct. 26, 1992

A Tribute to Alan Chadwick,
Master Gardener by Hilmar Moore

reprinted from  STELLA NATURA Inspriation and Practical Advice for Home
Gardeners and Professional Growers in Working with Cosmic Rhythms - (The 1993
Kimberton Hills Agricultural Calendar available from the Biodynamic
Association, Kimberton, PA)

When I think of the culture of agriculture in the United States, three names
come to mind: Liberty Hyde Bailey, Ehrenfried Pfeiffer, and Alan Chadwick.
Bailey had a tremendous effect on the cultural life of rural America through
his work at Cornell. His hundreds of bulletins and his characterizations of
rural life brought self-respect to a generation of farmers. His 65 books,
written between 1885 and 1953, are still standards of excellence for their
clarity and usefulness as references, particularly when one needs practical
information. The two books on nature study for children were decades ahead of
their time. Pfeiffer was the great pioneer of biodynamics in this country. His
innovations in scientific research, his ability to inspire quite diverse kinds
of people, his leadership of the biodynamic movement for over twenty years, and
his spiritual insights have left an indelible record of achievement.

Alan Chadwick's contributions are more difficult to categorize. He was an
artist, not a scientist like Pfeiffer or Bailey. He had no formal academic
training, nor was he skilled at any form of management, yet a number of people
are successfully pursuing agriculture professionally who were inspired by him.
I do not believe he undertook any systematic form of spiritual development,
although he spoke with devotion of Rudolf Steiner and considered himself a
Roman Catholic, and yet he played a large role in the spiritual development of
many people. Three of the five big gardens he began are still in production. He
was one of the most enigmatic men I have encountered and certainly one of the
most inwardly tortured.

He was born in England in 1909 to a wealthy family, and had private tutors for
his education. He received a formal training as an actor, in the manner for
which England is justifiably renowned. How he attained his horticultural
training is the subject for some debate. Indeed, a journalist who tried to
write a biography of Chadwick gave up after months of work. Nothing about Alan
Chadwick's lifehis personal relationships, his biography, and even his legacy
in horticultureis straightforward or conventional.

He came to California in the early 1970s from South Africa, after having worked
some years as actor and restoring the Admiralty Gardens in Capetown. He was
vited to establish a garden and a training program at the University of
California at Santa Cruz, then one of the most innovative universities in the
world. Soon his incredibly beautiful and productive garden, his inspirational
lectures, and his magnetic personality had attracted a devoted group of
gardeners. He inspired and helped to
 develop a garden at the Zen Center at Green Gulch, north of San Francisco, and
another at Saratoga. He founded the Round Valley Garden Project in Covelo,
where he worked and taught for over five years. Then he moved to Virginia,
where his last project existed for several years. Finally, seriously ill he was
invited back to the Zen Center, where he was cared for with real love until his
death on Whitsunday, 1980.

I think that the source of Alan's strength as a teacher and inspirer lies in
his unique vision of what a garden can be. This vision is based on two pillars:
a clear understanding of the rhythms of nature in creating an environment in
which plants can thrive, and of the role of the garden in human culture.

The enthusiasm, delicacy, and accuracy of Alan's presentation of the rhythms of
nature are unforgettable. "Why do you water the soil?" he would ask. "So it
will dry out!" came his answer, thus pointing to the rhythmic undulations
between warmth and cold, wet and dry, that plants require and that must come
from the environment skillfully managed by the gardener. His vividly pictorial
lectures on the management of fertilization, propagation, irrigation, and
cultivation within the cycle of the year, the breathing of the earth, will live
as long as people remember his words.

 He taught that the garden is both the epitome and the mother of all true
culture. He foresaw a society thatwould become ever more decentralized and
diverse, with its foundation an agriculture that would unite art, science, and
religion. What religion? That service to the spirit of the earth without which
we have no real inner life; that devotion which allows us to become creative
collaborators in the future of earthly evolution. He showed how horticulture
can bring about artistic creation in each household, religious devotion in the
soul toward one's environment; and how by understanding the requirements of
building a living soil community, one receives the bounty of a renewed and
enlivened earth.

A Tribute to Alan Chadwick Part II
by Hilmar Moore

reprinted from  STELLA NATURA Inspriation and Practical Advice for Home
Gardeners and Professional Growers in Working with Cosmic Rhythms - (The 1993
Kimberton Hills Agricultural Calendar available from the Biodynamic
Association, Kimberton, PA)

Alan taught that the garden would become the center of a new kind of village
life, modeled somewhat on an idealized medieval village or town. It would
combine aspects of the old monastery, with its culinary, medical, vegetable,
and meditation gardens, its orchards, animal husbandry, clinic and hospital,
school, and small scale farming. This vision comes from the distant past, from
the ancient temple cultures that flourished in Egypt and other places, and
which had a last burst of glory in medieval Europe. There were also elements of
the great 19th century English landscape gardens of Repton and Capability Brown
in Alan's picture, as well as of the "wild garden" of Robinson and the huge
flower borders of Gertrude Jekyll.

It is easy to ridicule Alan's vision. He related much more to the past than to
the present which he hated. He had a relationship to ancient Greece which one
could feel emanating from him at times as if part of his soul had never left
it. But his vision was not based on a romantic view of human nature; far from
it. He constantly inveighed against the inherent evil of human "disobedience"
towards the laws of nature, to which he contrasted in powerful images the
obedience of the plant kingdom. He was like an Old Testament prophet, railing
against the people's falling from the Way into sin and decadence.

That he never found an understanding for the mystery of the human spirit was
one reason his projects fell apart after some time. In this he was certainly
typical of our time. Community based on individuality and not on an older group
consciousness is clearly one of our greatest challenges. One could say that
what compassion he communicated was much more often for the soil, plants and
animals than for the human condition. Yet I often wonder if his vision will not
find its true place in the future and that time may be nearer than we think! We
may find ourselves working much more closely to our home, as many futurists
tell us; and if so, Alan's vision of the "home in the garden" may prove to be
much more prophetic than anachronistic.

When one speaks to a wide variety of his students, one hears comments which
make clear the tortured nature of Alan's destiny. He was through and through an
artist, and one whose being looked with reverence to the past, to a society
organized around the ancient mystery centers. He felt intimately connected to
myth and fairy tales. The most peaceful moments for him seemed to be when he
taught "mime, deportment, and elocution" in preparation for dramawork. Here he
lauded the most miniscule attempts at creativity. By contrast, managing a large
garden, the increasing teaching load, and the many people who looked to him as
a spiritual guide caused him real pain. "I am not a maestro, " he once said to
me. H e wished that we had such a spiritual teacher, and was aware that that
person was not himself: He yearned to place his life in the service of the
spirit and to
 found a community (actually, a village more than an intellectual community)
based on his vision, yet he felt constantly pulled by the selfish individuality
of his artistic temperament. Constantly he drew people to him through his
charismatic personality, abilities, and insight, and just as constantly he
drove them away.

For perspective, one must look to the many students who have already
transcended those areas in which Alan's vision was inadequate, and who have
taken his inspiration into the most varied endeavors, by learning to work with
appropriate machinery, creating new social forms, and working with
disadvantaged people and communities This alone qualifies him as a significant
figure in American agriculture. Most of the people who worked with him had a
lasting experience of what can be accomplished through common work without
machines. The combination of so much hand labor, such quantities of compost and
manures, and of saving every scrap of refuse for the compost, can create a
truly awesome transformation of the soil.

This memory may become more helpful some day when the luxury of working like
that becomes a necessity.

Another measure can be found in the emphasis he placed on flowers and fruit, on
artistically designed borders and other landscaping for beauty and for feeding
the birds and insects, whose presence in a living organism is essential for its
health. He regarded beauty as just as important a "product" of a garden as
vegetables and herbs. I think one will find elements of this concept in nearly
every gardening book written after about 1975.

If, as Rudolf Steiner predicted, there will come a time when there will not be
an atom of earthly substance that has not been transformed by human effort,
then there will come a time when Alan Chadwick's ideas will be applied over
whole regions, where every aspect of the landscape will be consciously designed
for scientific (ecological and agricultural), artistic (repose and beauty), and
spiritual (for our meditative life) reasons. Then we will all live in the
garden, our true home.

  Reprinted from ACRES USA July 1991 without permission.

  INTRODUCTION [from ACRES, USA]
  Alan Chadwick, the founder of the biodynamic/French intensive school
  of growing food crops, left the scene over  a decade ago. We are told
  that on the wall to the left of his bed had been hung a copy of
  Shakespeare's Sonnet XV, a fitting summary to the man's life.

  When I consider everything that grows
  Holds in perfection but a little moment,
  That this huge state presenteth naught but shows
  Whereon the stars secret influence commeth;
  When I perceive that men as plants increase,
  Cheered and checked even by the self-same sky,
  And wear their brave state out of memory;
  Then the conceit of this inconstant stays
  Sets you most rich in youth before my sight,
  Where wasteful Time debateth with Decay,
  To change your day of youth to sullied night;
  And all in war with Time or love of you,
  As he takes from you, I engraft you new.

  Not many people know that Alan Chadwick was a child of the stage as
  well as a gardener. World War II impacted his nature like a stunning
  hammer. The government demanded that people ignore their preferences
  and take on the choice of war. Chadwick ended up on the bridge of a
  mine sweeper, and after the war he went to South Africa to act in A
  Streetcar Named Desire. But he had this vision - a marriage between
  Steiner biodynamics and a French system of raised bed growing. Later
  he me Countess Freya von Moltke, the widow of the German general
  Helmuth von Moltke.

  It was Freya von Moltke who arranged for Chadwick to be offered a
  teaching post at Santa Cruz. As a consequence, this teacher and other
  teachers have created thousands who know the system. Hunger in this
  world would be quite impossible if such training became widespread.

  These few notes necessarily preface a presentation Alan Chadwick made
  on the subject of fertility at New Market, Virginia about a year
  before he died. His message was so timeless it rates reiteration over
  a decade later.

  There is poetry in ChadwickUs insight. Those who cannot take the time
  to cherish each syllable, each though, each sentence or fragment
  there of can go to others reports in this issue. Our editorial marks
  have been imposed to achieve clarity, and not to alter what Chadwick
  had to say. Otherwise this, a final lecture in a way, is presented
  here exactly as taped.

  FERTILITY
  Robert Graves in quotation: The decline of true taste for food is
  the beginning of a decline in a national culture as a whole. When
  people have lost their authentic personal taste, they lose their
  personality and become the instruments of other peopleUs wills. And
  Linsay Robb in his address entitled "Altius Longius Sitius": We have
  lost that essential unity with the soil. The break in this
  relationship is first indicated in the disregard for spiritual
  values, and sense of obligation and obedience to the creative powers
  of the universe.
  By way of contrast: On perceiving the violet: that the re-creation
  of the mind, which is taken thereby, cannot be but very good and
  honest. For they admonish and stir up the man to do that which is
  comely and honest. For they admonish and stir up a man to do that
  which is comely and honest. For through their beauty, color and
  exquisite form do bring remembrance of honesty, comeliness and all
  kinst of virtues. So it would be unseemly and impossible, even though
  the observer was a criminal, to be able to look upon this [flower]
  and yet remain defiled.
  Fertility has no limits. It is a gift. And it is an endless eleve
  uplift or reverse. But remember that the more fertile, the more
  eleve  we introduce, the more danger and susceptible is nature
  to the four elements, and error. It requires guarding as it becomes
  gifted in creation.
  For a moment, IUm going to talk practically again. Fertility,
  altogether in the whole our lives connected with horticulture,
  connected with the garden, connected with our art, with our craft is,
  of course, a marriage. Now, you must perceive that when we dealt with
  and looked a little into the cosmic, there were enormous keys there,
  one in particular. That so much of the atmospheres, the gifts we
  discover, receive and accept are by a form of marriage, and that
  there is a synergist in the always. And that they are the two
  energies: the energy of creation, the sun, and the energy of the
  recipient, the earth, which is always obedient to the leadership.
  And that you accept it with an obedience and reverence and obey its
  techniques, obey its requirements in order to bring it about, in
  order to make it eleve, for it is not static. It will increase all
  the time and can increase, as you comprehend-- equally by miracle,
  instantaneously.

  Therefore, when we spoke of the sun and the earth and this marriage
  that creates atmosphere, which we call warmth and light--here you
  have a continuation of this performance, but the multitudinous the
  fertility is coming out of the energy of that marriage of atmosphere.
  And as it is part o the destiny of humanity in particular, as the
  director of the orchestra, as a gardener or a farmer or an
  >oikosomiast< to invect this and create the >eleve<. it is endless,
  remember, and can go either way, like a sedge, into the salt ocean or
  into the sweet land.
  We discussed cultivation, fertilization and propagation in very
  minimal degrees as utter basics. Fertility is a marriage of these
  (three) and it is the marriage of all other that comes out of that
  marriage in the creation of atmosphere. For the moment, I'm focusing
  somewhat on a >conservatoire< of productivity in the garden, the
  production of the garden, not only for the produce for the kitchen
  but the whole garden, of course.
  So I want to bring to your observation the utter obedience to
  technique. If you obey the technique to perfection, that technique
  will become invisible because it is a craft and that is the Greek
  word, >technae<, [technique which it has become]. >Technae< means
  art: Being the creation of God in everything and craft being the
  method by which humanity brings it into performance in the visible
  world--very much the way in which we talk about seed and plants.
  Therefore, technae is art revealed in this world by a craft, and that
  is the word technique. It combines those. It's a phrase. Therefore,
  when we look at the subjects that we have slightly dealt with
  technically, we have talked about stratifications in these raised
  beds. We have talked about why this is a raised be: to get
  >motionibus< exposing to >revolutionibus<.

  And that you have your drainage which is one of the first
  implementations of acquiring >revolutionibus<. And so you are
  applying all of these techniques into a marriage which is all working
  towards the uplift of the procedure of fertility.
  And if you will make stratifications after you have made you
  cultivations and you will add these fertilizations and
  stratifications and texture, and the performance of shapes and
  movements up to the surface of the soil, which is the skin of the
  earth, the area of discontinuity where it meets the air.
  And here you will have produced your plants in a likewise technical
  manner to produce the utmost fertility in their performance.
  And now you will either sow the seed or the plant the plants in that
  formative, artistic bed of enormous technical procedure and thought
  and obedience, and you will plant it so that all the time the (four)
  elements will be your friends and not your enemies - - the six houses
  of fertility and the six houses of destructiveness.

  And that you will sow or plant that bed in such a manner that the
  plants will cover that bed, either ley (or bee) plants or weed plants
  or other plants, will cover that bed as instantly almost as
  germination can take place. but this mean you will have breathing
  pursuing with the >revolutionibus< of each day with the cosmic forces,
  and you will have an in flow and an intake and an outflow of breathing
  that is of the utmost fertility that at present you can produce in this
  area. And that those plants will aalmost immediately cover the area of
  discontinuity--the skin of the earth--with an exquisite mantle. And
  that will prevent that seizure of the topsoil, which is so dangerous,
  and a seizure of the collars of the plants, which is so dangerous for
  there will now be a little area in there of a conservatory, of a
  glass house. And if you put you hand in on a very windy day, it will
  be protected, and if you put you hand in on a very hot sunny day, it
  will be cool, and on a very dry day it will be moisture. And you
  will find you have come into a conservatoire.
  And as those plants grow, those warm, moist gases are being retained
  inside, and that the foliages are performing their duty of protecting
  that bd and the plants and that area which is dangerous with them.
  Therefore, you will get this acceleration and this beautiful growth
  whereby those plants will remain tender, young, succulent and full of
  nutritives, and gentle. And so they will grow faster and faster and
  happier and happier, and they will breathe in and out with the
  inclination and the declination, applying it into the bed through
  numerous planetary governments--minerals--and breathing into the air,
  into that atmosphere that aurora (dawn) is crating each day--those
  mineral atmospheres. It will be taking place ad lit. Ad infinitum.
  And suddenly, you have got a whole bed full of exquisite lettuce all
  ready for the salad bowl, or carrots or yount turnips or turnip tops,
  or whatever the bed may be. And now it will be taken and utilized in
  the kitchen. And when you collect that crop, you will perceive that
  soil, and you will perceive what has happened. That within its
  contents, and even deep down, a change has taken place. That although
  you have what vulgarly the agricultural world says taken the food
  values out of the soil and into the plants, you have *not*!
  This is the adaptation of the purport of fertility: that soil in that
  bed is better now since the plants dealt with it, when you prepare it
  and put the plants in and left them to it. It is superior. It is more
  fertile. And in each cycle this will take place, and out of that bed,
  what weeds you take, what roots and green matter you put into the
  compost will produce a secret.  That secret is all connected with
  >image<., (spiritual vision) with >idee< for it has come out of this,
  out of a pre-thought, for you were given this thought, not from your
  thinking mind of words. You were give it through your poise, through
  your breathing, through your diaphragm, from the cosmic, from above,
  from the stars. thatUs where that impetus came from. And it belongs
  to *totemism*.

  FROM ABOVE
  And now that compost heap will go through the domrancy of winter, and
  when you place it in the bds next year, the apporaches are the same.
  you thoughts are from above. your thoughts are to fertility, not
  fertility for your use, not fertility towards a crop of 1,000 pounds
  of tomatoes or 500 baskets of strawberries. That calculation would
  get you nowhere now, or if you want to turn 1,000 pounds of beans
  into $1,000 to put it in the bank as a cash deposit! It didn't come
  out of that kind of thought. It came out of a thougtht that was not
  given you in words, an order to which you were obedient.
  And now out of that compost come seeds and plants and soil and matter
  and nutriment and humus which you are putting in the soil, and you
  will notcie that this spring the worms are different. They may be
  bigger. They may be a bit more moist, but yet they are changeing,
  There's a lot of whittling going on. There is fresh color that you
  didn't notice before, and suddenly you see a butterly.
  oh, there were those little white ones last year, but that oneUs got
  orange tips. And suddenly you will seed all sorts of new variations
  of snakes and lizards and snails and birds. And they are new! Why did
  they come? Was it just like the nightingale? Did they go when they
  know they were not wanted and had they come back up the river and
  were waiting in the tree for the emperor to come and listen that he
  may sleep and dream? And so something will happen now that is the
  greatest secret concerned with the garden and fertility and the
  gardener.
  Magic comes out of your surprise, for there is in nature always
  surprise. You don't know anything. you can go through a little
  woodland, a little alpine area, and you will think you have seen
  what's growing there., and you can go through it for three months,
  and each day you will find it incontestably new. It is not static.
  Every bit of it is new.  And now, suddnly, new weeds have come up.
  They weren't here last year and you walso notcie that there is an
  appearance of more succulence, of probably mroe intense color, of
  scent and form.
  It may not be size and you will certainly notice a differnce in
  nutritivies and flavor. And this is the gift of the plants in their
  giving and forgiving, that through their spritiual >image< now relate
  to our spiritual >image< and have come up to where were were led to
  lead them to enter--when our thoughts were given to us as from
  above--we were above that >elve< and were thinking of a new pear, of
  lettuce more wondreful, a flavor more exuisite, or walkway that id
  something tht no walkway had ever quite done before, or a tree bow
  which held atmosphere underneath in a manner that never happened
  before. They are all meetings of that matter. And now, suddenly, this
  coming up of nature, of the garden, enters you diapragm and connects
  again with the cosmic and your spiritual image is lifted again into
  a real that no verbosity, no ordinary study through words, through
  books, can give you.
  It's new! It's out of the atmosphere. Its out of the birth of the
  hand of God, that is flowing throughout this are in which you are
  constructing and fulfilling and being obedient and performing. That
  surely can proceed ad infinitum. And is this not, then, the word
  fertility? And does it not conjunct with all the bird in the trees?
  All of the things that you can't comprehend. So many people at
  lectures, like at Villa montalvo, where threee dear old ldies got up
  and said, Yes! Yes! Yes! But what do we do about the ants? But, you
  see, there is always this inclination to rush to a store for a powder
  because something's happening that's got up your petticoat.

  ELVE of FERTILITY
  Now, perceive you, that where I'm speaking of a French Intensive
  biodynamic bed, I'm only focusing on one little fraction of the whole
  focus of the garden. That, therefore, it includes all of those
  insects that you do not comprehend but appear as enemies.
  And here is a little statement about the seed of tansy; burr
  marigold. This plant, wilde, grows beside water, but not in water,
  and cannot grow away from water. It can't exist on dry land, and it
  cannot exist in abog, so it grows on teh edge of little ponds and
  pools and around the edges oflakes and streams. In the fall, when it
  goes to seed, those seeds fall on the dry land and cannot germinate.
  And when the winds of winer come, they blow it into the path and,
  Oh, dear, now whatUs going to happen? Those seeds have four horns
  on the uper end like floats, and the seed floats upwards with the
  germinative point in the air so that the see sits on the water at an
  angle facing up, and along comes Mr. Carp, and he says Oh, dear,
  here we go again.

  But those four horns are made like fish hooks, and every fish is
  aware by relationship/disrelationship of what those four horns will
  do. And any fish tht have had this tuck in their gills for several
  hours to get rid of it, wouldnt dream of goinG near tht see agAin
  knowing full well what it would do.

  [TO BE CONTINUED]
Fri 5 Feb 93  6:07
By: ALLAN BALLIETT
Re: Part 1 ALAN CHADWICK on ANEMONE redux

Here is a repost of Alan Chadwick's lecture on anemone cultivation.
It is a sure irritant for those with growing Spring Fever.
This time of year, You may be find the part about the building of
a hot bed to be particularly valuable.

Let me know what you think

-Allan
:
:
:
:
Alan Chadwick Lecture September 12, 1979

ANEMONE

This is a very simple practical little study of which we shall be
having many. And we have discussed this morning- and you've had your
basic herb study yesterday- we have just discussed herbs and we are
going to introduce a herb (study) just before each of the
subjectivities of the lectures and talks that we have- so you will be
having a herb, literally a herb a day so to speak, during the
(coming)weeks. And in this way you will cover something like 200 in
the year - just to let you know that.

The subject today is the Anemone, De Caen and the anemone St. Brigid-
they're known as the coronarias- how to grow them to perfection. And
it is one of the most exquisite and beautiful plants. An invaluable
cut flower of enormous lasting value, of brilliant color, excellent
form and really very simple if the technique is applied properly it is
utterly, utterly superb in its performance. But if it is disobeyed,
it's a complete failure and a dead loss. I'm going to begin and go
through the performance of this plant so that you understand it in all
its attitudes so that you know how to produce it, because it's
becoming very difficult to get in the world. You cannot buy the seed
of the De Caen. You can buy the seed of St. Bridgid, but it's almost
impossible to buy the seed of the De Caen and if you do, it's not
necessarily very g~od.

I produced some 28,000 plants-corms-at Santa Cruz and each of those
plants produced 26 blooms each a year-that all the students
enjoyed.They last tor three weeks and more in water. I give you a
little picture of what is possible with great ease, provided that you
obey the technique. So we're going to begin- since you cannot get the
seed easily- we are going to begin by saying we purchase corms.

And those corms that we purchase will be, from an economical point of
view, reasonable to buy. They're becoming very expensive, so we should
buy 2000 corms at one year nurseryfication of De Caen. This is the
best anemone of the two by far. It is plain edged; it's colors are far
more intense and it is single and it comes utterly true to its type.
The four colors being blood red, purplish blue, mauve, and a white, an
ivory white. Therefore, we will purchase 2000 corms one year
nurseryfied; they will have been produced from seed. And those corms
will be a very small centimeter - I don't know quite what to say-
about the size of a, not very much bigger than a rather round oat. And
they will be purchased in the late fall.

And they will be planted in a bed in the spring of this preparation:
preferably in January or February - a deep well-drained, performed bed
with an excellent hot bed placed within it. Now these corms are very
small and are going to go into a very close area, certainly not more
than four times the length of this table (20') and either 3 or 4'
wide. So we would have a hot bed placed upon a good drainage. In other
words, the stalks of any helio at the boKom. On the stalks of those
helio will go a green matter of any sort anything like nasturtium or
the sort of matter that is green and on top of that, preferably. a
pretty fresh horse manure to produce the heat. On top of that an
ordinary top soil as a coverage. And now you have a mixture of 1/3
sharp, 1/3 turf loam, and 1/3 well rotted rich manure, six months to a
year stock piled. If possible well turned and eradicated from seed,
weed seed issue, no weeds are going to be allowed in these beds at any
time. No weeds. NOT, NOT, NOT PERMISSIBLE!

Now on top of that soil that we have mentioned that's on top of the
hot bed, we will now place a strata of well rotted leaf mold. So that
will be leaf mold taken either from a leaf pit or deep in the woods
somewhere, from a dell. And that we want to be about two inches.
Between an inch and two inches. A really good swathing. Now we will
place six inches of that soil that we have just mentioned- that
preparation- 1/3 sharp, 1/3 turf loam and 1/3 manure.

We will plant our corms gently into the surface of that after it has
been pressed down, either with a roller or by the planting boards.
Preferably with a roller. We will plant them just into the surface,
about, literally about an inch. On to that we will place a strata of
sharp, very thin, for disinfectant as much as anything. On to that we
will place one inch of utterly well-rotted, seed free, rich manure. An
entire strata.

And on top of that we will place a thin strata of 1/2 top soil mixed
with 1/2 leaf mold. So now you've got your corms down at about 2 1/4 -
2 1/2 inch and the whole preparation is made. Now if the weather is
very severe and there is a lot of frost and ice in the district, the
preferability of the coverage of the whole of that bed would be with
lightly blown up pteris, that is the bracken fern. Or second to that,
if you could not get terrace (I imagine there must be plenty of pteris
aquilinum up in the mountains and the woods here. Anyone notice?)
Well, if not, fern leaves. Female fern - any of those - as a covering
from the climate. So that that is removable if possible the moment
that the shoots begin to come through.

The foliage should be evident in 6 - 8 weeks from those corms. You get
one leaf uncurled first and then quite a long time, some weeks, before
the next.

Now if the weather remains bad, it's perfectly feasible to leave that
fern on and let the plant grow through it. There's no harm in that at
all. And that that would be much more likely the case in this
district. Even though the pteris, or any other fern, you see, were
sitting that depth(4"), this plant will work through the fern
perfectly simply and is aerated. Therefore it should not be disturbed,
unless it is removed before the foliage becomes obvious. At that time
of year those corms will come into bloom at 16 weeks. The first blooms
will appear at 15 - 16 weeks. The normal period from planting a corm
in really good weather in a really good climate is 12 weeks- into
bloom. At 8 weeks the foliage has begun to perform pretty properly.
And a month after that the blooms begin to appear.

Those corms are now blooming for the first time and they will produce
about 18 good blooms, not of first class-large for cutting- but the
first 2 or 3 will be small and "mini" and probably should be cut off
and discarded. And quite quickly will follow decent blooms that can be
used for cutting. Now you must understand that what we are doing in
this production, we are thinking that it is very difficult to obtain
this plant, and we are growing this bed for productiveness -
reproductiveness. Do you follow? Therefore, you will want a lot of
little pegs- and in this case of the De Caen- you can't possibly do it
with the St. Brigid (and we shall be operating from seed with St.
Brigid anyway)- but with the De Caen, you see, you have four colors.
You sometimes get a puce, one slips in, that's fifth color, we won't
bother about that at the moment, but you can have the five pegs if you
like. Now those pegs,therefore, will have a color nomination on them.
It could be those very colors, which makes that simple. Therefore, as
those plants grow and the blooms come, according to which appear to be
your best plants during the growing period, so will nominate them with
the pegs. Do you follow? That can be used as a cutting bed throughout
the growing season which is probably four to five months. And that
each of the plants which is assessed to be superior shall be marked in
this manner with this peg very clearly so as to be unmistakable. So it
must be well-placed because the bed is very full.

When they have died down, but are still just visible in growth- is the
time to lift the whole bed. But before lifting the whole bed, those
which are labeled shall be lifted each with their labelings into what
you would call a drying sieve so that all the reds go into one sieve,
all the blues go into a sieve with their label and so on. Do you
follow? Now these are the pick of the bunch which in the next year are
going to be grown for seed production.

And the rest will go in en masse as a cutting bed again. So that same
performance will take place. The longer you will delay the lifting
without losing sight of them the better. But you see to get up the
labeled ones you must be able to still see where the plant meets the
corm. Now you see the imperative importance of no weeds, for you
cannot unearth or discover the matter at all. And what is more, they
do not employ the liking of other plants around them. They like to be
alone.

Now you take a similar performance and you prepare a bed in the same
way and you plant those particular selections in their color groups,
and you now double space them. You give them plenty of room. That
nomination is quite easily made when it comes to the technical
performance of the planting, the exact distances.

Now as this plant comes up- again you run into- you will plant them a
little later this time to be on the safe side, end of February or
March according to when the moon is playing. And again you will
prepare the bed in the same way. But now the planting is further apart
to give them ample room, and again you will roll it before you plant,
and again you will cover it in the same way. And indeed you can leave
the coverage on again if that is required.

The first 2 or 3 blooms shall in any case be removed. Now the plant is
going to send up 24, 25 or 26 blooms this time. And now they are going
to be verging upon full size. Very big. It's a very big anemone. So
any number on the plant- now this bed has got to be looked after by a
staff with apprentices, and it's got to be looked after absolutely
regularly and attended to, as it is utterly important, for one little
mishap and you are in serious trouble that you won't get over- but
when you come to number four blossom up to about number ten, according
to the performance of the flower up from the bud and its appearance,
you either leave it or remove it. And you will allow four or five per
plant, total, so that after approximately number eight or number nine
all blooms are now removed, as small buds; you can't even make use of
them. So that the whole issue (energy) goes into those four or five
who are to produce the seed.

Now the seed are very tricky. It develops a cone, a long pointed cone,
and it withstands any weather, any wind. And suddenly out of that cone
issues a little volcano. Suddenly, all unexpectedly the cone undoes,
all the way from the tip downwards, and unfolds like a "smoke" of
cotton wool. Sometimes spreading as much as that, an incredible thing
hanging almost like a swarm of bees. And attached in that cotton wool
are all the seeds. Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds per blossom per
cone. And every one of them is liable, almost certain, to be fertile
and first class.

Therefore, you must not lose this. But you must not collect it until
it is about to fly. And there is no manner of telling that other than
the technical on the spot obviousness. There is no other way. But to
pull it off by force as you might pull a peach before it's ripe or fig
when it is straight, the seed will not be in its ripe composition
which is required. In other words it must be about to take off. Now

sometimes that cotton wool will hang for 2 or 3 or 4 days in a swarm
and increase. And not usually does the cotton wool from right down the
cone all together. So you usually have to make two collections. Do you
follow?

And they, of course, can go into the same bag. There is nothing much
better than a large brown paper bag with a big opening, one of the
very big ones. "SAFEWAY",you see, becomes useful for the first time.
And you see even though there is a wind or a breeze take it on the
lower side and pop it in quickly. And you just, as it were, wipe it.
Therefore, the unripe remains hanging on to the swarm and leads the
rest of the cone into ripeness,so you do not pick off the cone because
the cone would go sloppy and would rot. So you've only got the cotton
wool in the bag. And you leave that absolutely loose, tie it up around
the collar and hang it up to dry. So you make two collections and
there is your seed and you will sow it either in the fall or in the
spring. Both of them work perfectly.

Now this plant does not force. Therefore, you must not produce that
seed under a forced heat such as you would raise the tomato. It must
be a cooler raising such as you would use for cineraria and freesia
and you will get a 99 - 100% germination. And when you come to sow
that seed you will find that you've got one huge mass of swarm of
cotton wool with little seeds you can't even see. Therefore, you've
got nothing but cotton wool. Do not worry. But don't try to sow in any
form of draft for it will be away! - which is exactly what it's meant
to do to migrate. It can go from here down to South America!

You will prepare your seed box- for this must be grown in this manner-
you will prepare your seed box and on the day according to the moon,
in a beautifully sheltered position, you will slightly press that
soil, having filled the box with a special preparation. That
preparation will be a thick rotted leaf mold at the base, a coverage
of well-rotted- if possible seed proof- manure, and a 1/3 a 1/3 a 1/3.
1/3 sharp; 1/2 well-rotted turf loam, "seed proofed", turned in other
words, and 1/3 well-rotted leaf mold. All mixed in well together.
Very, very fine and nice and full and pressed. Now you take your
cotton wool with your fingers and you simply spread it, undo it, as
much as is possible, and don't get in a flummox over it because it
doesn't separate.

So in other words you end up with a box of one sheet of cotton wool
out of the bag. And of course, you must begin with a lump or several
lumps in the middle of the box because otherwise- the least little...
I mean if you go "Ha! Ha!" Poof! The whole lot of seed is gone! Do you
follow? So it's no good mucking about or what have you, or somebody
comes in and says, "Wait!" And it's all gone! Now, it is very
important for the coverage of this that you have the lightest of
light,fine soil. Again the finest sifted, well-rotted leaf with the
sifted sharp with the sifted turf loam; 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. And nothing but
the finest sitting so that you can still just see the cotton wool. In
other words, golden rule "under cover, do not over cover."

You could always add a little more soil at germination. Golden rule:
"Under cover, do not over cover." Keep thoroughly moist, well-watered.
No need for glass. Temperature of 50 degrees at night, 65 degrees by
day and you will get an excellent germination. It's slow. There is in
the seed the double procedure generally of the hard and the soft shell
and, therefore, you are quite liable to get a repercussion, after of a
month, of regermination - it nearly always happens. In this way you
will produce plants which are superior to those that you grew from
those corms. And that you have started an uplift of fertility in your
corms. If you proceed on that line from those and take again the
second year from those seedlings, not the first, the second and third
year (the life of that corm will be approximately five years), and it
will start with 18 blooms the second year, will go to 24 - 25 the next,
28 the next at full size, and then will begin to get smaller and remain
numerous and then go back to 18 rather small, and after five years as
a cut flower you've finished with it.

Now the St. Brigid you will deal with in the same way. With the second
issue that I've just described with sowing the seed. You will buy the
seed and sow it in that manner. It's easy to get and it's cheap, to
buy the seed. If you buy the corms it's expensive. So I'm talking
about economical. This corm does not force. Convolaria, freesia,
daffodils, hyacinths, tulips, you can force them all. With a lot of
heat you can have them on by Christmas, January. You cannot force the
anemone, it does not. But it is a winter plant. In Cornwall it is in
bloom in January and goes to London and the Scilly Isles even in
December. It has the capacity, that even though the stalk is quite
short with the cold weather, with the frost, and the little bud is
only just showing color during the period of one month having picked
it, it will come into full bloom in the London market and in the home
where it is purchased. It's lasting power is enormous. It is a
colossal drinker. It drinks water at a tremendous pace.

The vase which you put it in will be drunk in three days. And you must
always resuscitate it. It does not need to have the stalk cut to keep
the flower going. That color in the winter is one of the most
beautiful cut flowers that you can have. Therefore, if you are in a
wicked climate the ideal way to grow this is in frames. Therefore,
from seed into bloom- now if you had left those corms in the ground
that you had purchased, they would come into bloom at the end of that
year, providing the climate was satisfactory. If not, they would wait
until the next spring. So when you have got a thoroughly satisfactory
climate, after you have sown the seed, you can produce bloom from that
corm, from that seed that year, in seven months. Do you follow? Now
you will perceive that by sowing seed either in the fall or the early
spring, you can reproduce blossoming throughout the fall, and the
winter and the spring. And, therefore, if you manipulate this growing
in frames in the same manner as the beds made in the frames exactly-
exactly the same manner- you can have a whole frame full of anemones
if you will plant those corms, and you see, for frame ones you want
your 3rd and 4th year. Your very best. And the others you will be
growing in a bed and using. And that you may play this by planting in
August, you see, the corm. You begin at 14 - 15 weeks into bloom and
as the winter comes on and the weather gets very cold you will go into
16 and 17 weeks into bloom. So, you simply nominate your dates of
sowing and you can have relays of frames coming into bloom, in full
bloom, next lot coming on, going out of bloom, taking out, putting in
the French beans or the lettuce in place! Do you follow? And,
therefore, you have an enormous thing. On Long Island I had these
frames made the moment that I was building these gardens and, of
course, I had anemones from Christmas onwards which astonished
everybody. And you see with all the snows on the frame lights, on the
mats, still these anemones and the lettuce all performing, there is no
difficulty. You must, of course, take those provisions to prevent the
severe freezings of below zero going right into the bed for that would
destroy it. So again you would use pteris. You remember that I had
remarked about the great miracle of pteris. Pteris actually prevents
freezing from entering the soil. It is like the most eiderdown,
eiderdown, eiderdown in its performance. And the lighter you use it,
the most eiderdown it is. It equally prevents scorch and "dryth" from
entering the ground. It's a most bewildering and astonishing
protective and, of course, does in time make the most exquisite
disinfectant soil and is beautiful for growing all bulbs and corms in.
In time you can imagine it is this like, beautiful like spongy loam
soil. Therefore, do not attempt to grow the anemone De Caen or St.
Brigid in the glass house in heat. It won't work.

So you start off all through the winter with your frames and then you
go into your spring beds. And you are making the utmost of your
anemones. You have got bloom going on there seven months.

Now should you go to such an area as the Mediterranean or California,
you will find that if you left... now you could leave your corms in
the beds here if you covered them, through the winter and that they
would come on of themselves and that this very useful when you do the
nurseryfication of the 1st year seedlings for they're very very
finicky and tiny. And, therefore, to leave them in the bed and cover
it well with terrace and with lights of some sort, or with a cloche or
bell, they would come up the next year and you would pursue the same
thing and that bed would be perfectly ordinate because of its
preparation to perform again the second year. So it is very advisable.
Now this is a matter to beware that in a good climate that is a
ten-month performing climate, that anemone would try to bloom in
September and would also want to bloom again, having died down after
the November and Christmas issue of 18 blooms, it would again want to
come up and bloom in May and June. And that the corm would not be able
to supply the issue of. Now it is very interesting that that little
corm has only the tiniest of roots. Many bulbs, like gladioli have
very little root, dahlias, out of their tubers have very little root
at all. In other words, they're growing out of the Revolutionibus much
more than out of the Ahrimanic. And therefore, you would have to lift
(the corm) to prevent this or your corm would be finished after the
one year performance of two blooms. That is just a note that you must
remember.

Of course, where you are growing the whole of this bed or these beds
as a cut flower crop- and it is particularly a good cut flower- it is
not a vastly desirable flower for instance, in the herbaceous borders
-- either the annual or perennial- not really. In rock garden, some of
them like the apenina and the multipulata are very charming. But I am
talking about this today and the study is all towards a cut flower.
And when I was in New York and stayed with some very important people,
I had to give them a little gift and I knew that she loved anemones
and I went to one of the florist's. I was there at Christmas and I
said, AH! the very thing because I know that she loves a bunch of
anemones. There they were, these wonderful Adonis, the blood of- as
you know Apollo killed Adonis by mistake- and this wonderful red at
Christmas and I said I was thinking of six bunches. I said how much.
He said $10.00 a bunch, a dozen. Ten dollars! I supplied Buckingham
Palace. I supplied the queen; she wouldn't get them from anywhere
else. And I used to sell them at ten pence a dozen. And I made the
most fantastic profit. So that I paid for my whole farm in one year;
the laying out of it, the buying of it and everything, almost off this
alone! For I used to collect thousands and thousands and thousands
every other day.

Now out of this method of growing in this way- you see frequently you
will find in the market that you will get a little stalk so high and
that's very finicky in a little vase- but with this method, even with
the coldest weather with these coverages, with this intense manuring,
you get the utmost fertility and you will get a stalk of that length.
And that's a very different matter in cut flowers. And that's what you
want to go for, and you won't lose the quality if you blossom by the
length of the stalk, because of this beautiful fertility of the soil.
But you must remember those stratifications I have given you. They are
absolutely adamant and predominant. Absolute.

Now, there is a matter that has to be looked at. The De Caen is what
you might call a classic. You know that the ranunculus that you
purchase, the Turban (Persian) Ranunculus, they're all double, and
they look rather like a Venician carnival and fireworks. When you come
to look at those in bloom -- and you know they are very Lipstick Pink,
Wicked Yellow, Love Citron Lemon Acid (laughter) all the tricks of
colors at their most festivalia wickedness- and suddenly you look at
this great classical anemone and you see that this intense color is
incredibly classic, deep and very subtle, while this ranunculus looks
like a HA HA HAAA! business. And this is very interesting. Now, do you
see, with the St. Brigid that they are none of them a complete color!
They're various colors. Rainbow mixed up in them. And that 8 I still
had excellent blooms in June. Some of you, some one or two of you might
remember. No, probably not. (Student - I do Alan) (Alan - you do.)

And so you can see the number of tens of thousands of blooms you can
cut from one bed. And that cutting can take place two and three times
per week in those beds. It's an exorbitant gift. Incredible excitement
of happiness.

Student - Thank you, Alan, that answered my question beautifully.

Alan - Yes, good.

Student - Alan, if you are lifting your corms, those that you are not
to use for seed the next year, is it best to let the plant die down
completely?

Alan - No. Yes, it is, but it's all advisable because of finding them.
Now if your bed is thoroughly well prepared and the soil is perfect,
that's all right. Put them very carefully in a very technical manner
through a particular sieve. A sieve that will allow the soil, all of
the soil, to go through quickly. But you must remember that the little
roots hang on to quite a lot of leaf mold. I am glad you mentioned
this. Therefore, do you see, the sift method you can indeed let them
die down. But I am warning you because in many instances I have had
inexperienced people and they have allowed weeds. The moment you've
allowed weeds, there's nothing you can do. Do you follow? You've mixed
your soil and your weeds and the weeds take the corms with them -
always. And you've lost the lot.

Now, there's one matter that's very important, and it concerns the
storage of all such matters. Dahlia tubers. The storage of potatoes.
The storage of vegetables. We're going to deal with all of that. Now
gladioli is a corm, but it's a very strong corm and it can dry. But
the anemone is a very small corm and during the period of summer in a
hot climate or moist climate, or a bade climate will either dehydrate
or it will even to a degree rot or contaminate. Do you understand?
Therefore, you must use certain dried herbs, you already being to
perceive some of them, and you must have ready an excellent peat moss.
A really first class peat moss that will not moisten. That will remain
dry. And, therefore, you bury all of those corms, and you realize
you've got twenty thousand in that size, and they are best in a
basket. A very close wicker/bamboo basket with this peat moss in. And
all your corms are buried in that peat moss. Now, they are not moist
at all but there is a prevention of dehydration of air or interference
of damp days entering in. And that method of storage is ideal.

Question: What would the best temperature be for storage?

Alan: Cool, dry. Plenty of air as in fruit stores. America does not
understand, forgive my being so vulgar as to put it that way,
ventilation. You need ventilators, you see this in the first place is
impossible - concrete floor, to perspire, does everything it
shouldn't. But you want ventilators below and you want ventilators
either in roof such as you've got here such as you have in a root
store or ventilators as all houses in Europe have to have ventilation
up near the ceiling. Every room has to have a number of ventilators
according to its size and you can have those open and shut. Do you
follow? So that is the proper manner. Remember that all such matters
should also be on slats, rather than placed on a floor.

Oh! It is a technical, practical matter and you will not in the least
worry about it. But, I would imagine that nine people out of ten would
not know which way up the corm was when it's dry. It is the

most funny looking little thing. It has more flanges and is very
weird. The first year it's pretty obvious that there is a crown
presentment on one end and the other is a point which is the root.
That is very obvious at the end of the first year only. The second
year that vanishes and these flanges come and it's quite difficult.
The moment that you have been shown, a dozen, which way up they are,
and if you plant them the wrong way up they will not come up. So,
that's just to remind. Not to worry about because the whole point is
the technique will be shown. Anything else? Very good.

Warren: May I announce that on Monday, the fruit?

Response: Yes.

Alan: Very well. We've discussed regarding the program. We're going to
work very hard producing an adequate and suitable program for you.
That you shall be able to study to the utmost. And you shall have the
utmost information and leadership that's possible here. You realize
how tremendously we lack staff. We're going to try to till these gaps.

On Monday, we will take our first orchard fruit study. This will not
be the history of fruit, which is extremely fascinating, or the
history of the American fruit orchards. This will be the basic of
fruit growing. The formation of the trees, which includes, of course,
the pruning. Shape of the trees and why. The different shapes and why
their valuations. And the stock and scion, the principle base of the
formation of the growing of fruit trees. That will be the study on
Monday. Now shall this be at 10 or 11?

Response: 11 is best for everybody.

Alan: Eleven. Very good. I have to go to the doctor, but that is all
right; it is in the afternoon. So it is 11:00 as usual. That is the
subject for Monday. We will bat it up later with all the histories.
Very good?

Thank you Alan.
:
:
:
:
Please let me know if you are interested in seeing more of Alan Chadwick's
lectures up here.

Thanks!

-Allan
 * Origin: The Twilight Clone (1:109/70.914)

                Aquaculture information resources on ALF

Another document available:
AQUALIST.TXT     3695  10-23-90  Aquaculture Info Ctr Publist

                   LIST OF KEY NAL PERSONNEL AND SERVICES
   Aquaculture IC                  Debbie Hanfman        344-3704   AGS3091
Aquaculture Information Center

     Subject Coverage:  Culture of aquatic plants and animals in
     freshwater, brackish, and marine environments. Examples
     include:  catfish farming; oyster culture; freshwater prawn
     culture; tilapia culture; salmon ranching; and trout
     farming. Subjects related to aquaculture, such as pond
     management, cage culture, recirculating systems, diseases,
     and water quality are also covered. Staff of the Center also
     handle requests on eel culture; Spirulina farming; and
     aquatic snail and turtle cultivation, but not terrestrial
     culture. The "fisheries industry" (such as ocean fishing
     harvests) is not considered a part of the Aquaculture
     Information Center's coverage.

     Coordinator:  Deborah Hanfman, 301-344-3704

        Aquaculture Information Center
        Coordinator:   Debbie Hanfman
                       Room l09C
                       (30l) 344-3704
AQUACULTURE
-----------
Algae and Biotechnology.  Ann Townsend Young.  February 1990.  3 pp.  AIC
Series no. 1.

Aquaculture:  A Guide to Federal Government Programs.  Prepared by the Joint
Subcommittee on Aquaculture, in cooperation with the National Agricultural
Library.  November 1987.  34 pp.

Aquaculture for Youth and Youth Educators.  Eileen McVey.  July 1989.  16
pp.  (Aqua-Topic Series)

Aquaculture Genetics and Breeding:  National Research Priorities.  Prepared
by USDA Cooperative State Research Service, Office of Aquaculture.  March
1988.  Vol. I, 56 pages.  Vol. II, 61 pp.

Aquaculture In the Caribbean Basin:  A Bibliography (1970-1988).  Prepared
by Deborah T. Hanfman, Aquaculture Information Center; Steven Tibbitt,
National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service (NESDIS);
Carol Watts, NESDIS; Dallas Alson, Caribbean Aquaculture Association.
More [Y]es,N)o,C)ont,A)bort,J)ump! y

Bibliographies and Literature of Agriculture No. 71.  September 1988.  71
pp.

Aquaculture In the Northeast Pacific:  A Bibliography.  Prepared by Deborah
T. Hanfman, Aquaculture Information Center; Eileen M. McVey, Aquaculture
Information Center; Steven J. Tibbitt, National Environmental Satellite,
Data, and Information Service (NESDIS); Marilyn Quin, Coastal Oregon Marine
Experiment Station, Oregon State University, Hatfield Marine Science Center
Library, Newport, Oregon 97365; Carol Watts, NESDIS.  Bibliographies and
Literature of Agriculture No. 98.  October 1989.

Culture of Striped and Hybrid Striped Bass.  Eileen McVey.  April 1990.  28
pp.  (Aqua-Topics Series)

Eels.  Ann Townsend Young.  April 1990.  8 pp.  AIC Series no. 5.

Paddlefish.  Deborah T. Hanfman.  March 1990.  5 pp.  AIC Series no. 2.
The Potentials of Aquaculture:  An Overview and Bibliography.  Prepared by
Deborah T. Hanfman, Aquaculture Information Center; Steven Tibbitt, National
Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service (NESDIS); and Carol
Watts (NESDIS).  October 1989.  Bibliographies and Literature of Agriculture
No. 90. 73 pp.
Practical Aquaculture Literature II:  A Bibliography.  Eileen M. McVey,
Deborah T. Hanfman, Mona F. Smith, and Ann Townsend Young.  June 1989.
Bibliographies and Literature of Agriculture No. 75.  175 pp.
Raising Snails.  Sheldon Cheney.  SRB 88-04.  March 1988.  16 pp.
Seafood Safety and Standards.  Eileen M. McVey.  September 1989.  19 pp.
(Aqua-Topic Series)
Sturgeons.  Ann Townsend Young.  April 1990.  10 pp.  AIC Series no. 4.
Watercress.  Ann Townsend Young.  April 1990.  6 pp.  AIC Series no. 3.

                             INFORMATION ALERTS
 Recent items of public interest published as Information Alerts by NAL
IA89-08.TXT   REGIS:  ... African Aquaculture                    4/21/89
IA89-12.TXT   NATDP Announces Aquaculture Compact Disk           6/21/89
IA89-21.TXT   New Aquaculture Bibliography Available             8/15/89

Another document available:
NAL Publ. "Potentials of Aquaculture"......................90-05 IA90-05.TXT

AQUACULTURE
     Deborah Hanfman, a Technical Information Specialist at NAL,
selected 62 key  U.S. Government publications for this database.
They include books, technical reports, bibliographies, leaflets,
bulletins and journal articles.  These publications are not
copyrighted and may be downloaded or printed for personal use.
Software used: Textware.
          This database was created as part of an experimental,
pilot project by the National Agricultural Library.  Copies are not
available.  The database may be searched at the D.C. Reference
Center and in the main library, Beltsville, MD.  Technical
questions about the database may be addressed to Deborah Hanfman
(301)344-3558, or Judith Zidar (301)344-3818, USDA, National
Agricultural Library, 10301 Baltimore Blvd., Beltsville, MD 20705.

Another file available for download:
LAQUADV.ZIP     59680  06-30-88  Louisiana Aquaculture Expert Advisory

Re: 1/3 Aquaculture and the FDA
                 Life on a Fish Farm: Food Safety a Priority
                           by Beverly Corey, D.V.M.

In bold yellow letters the supermarket ad proclaims, "Save on Catch of the
Day." Beneath the message is a fisherman's oversized dip-net teeming with
thick sliced lemons, red snapper, trout, mussels, a red onion, succulent
shrimp, a sprig of parsley, and a luscious lobster. The picture creates an
intense hunger for seafood. It also commands a closer look.

The ad's fine print lists the usual information: the price of the product,
its common or usual name, whether it is fresh or frozen, and its place of
origin. But a few products are identified with a term that implies an
additional distinction--"farm-raised." This means it's a product of
aquaculture.

What's Aquaculture?

Aquaculture means "water culture" or, more exactly, farming in water. Simply
explained, it involves the intensive production of fish and shellfish for
human food, plants such as seaweed, and even bait fish and fish for aquaria,
in a closely managed habitat.

The aquaculture industry has been described as "fragile" because it's still
young, yet "on the cutting edge of science" because of its use of technology.
Both descriptions are appropriate for an industry that has experienced
explosive growth in the last 20 years, but is still immature.

Aquaculture is considered by many to be the aquatic counterpart of
agriculture, with water substituting for land. But aquaculture is more akin
to animal husbandry, the science of animal breeding, than agriculture in
general.

Farm-raised fish mature in areas called rearing units or rearing areas either
offshore or onshore. Ponds, large circular tanks, and raceways--rectangular
concrete enclosures that make use of flowing water--are common onshore
rearing units for fin fish. Coastal lakes and estuaries can be common sites
for offshore systems raising fish and crustaceans in cages or net-pens.
Shellfish may be held in floating baskets or suspended on ropes hanging from
rafts.

The aquaculturist takes species of aquatic plants and animals naturally grown
in nature's waterways or in the "wild" and reproduces them in a habitat where
the operative word is "control."

The farmer can monitor and control every aspect of the fish's
environment--from the quality of pond water to the specially formulated fish
diet. Fish farmers believe that it's the element of control that makes a
farm-raised fish a better-quality product because it's easier to regulate and
guarantee its wholesomeness.

Fish farmers rely on good management and a host of products to prevent health
problems. They use chemicals as disinfectants and to kill bacteria;
herbicides to prevent the overgrowth of vegetation in ponds; vaccines to
fight certain diseases; and drugs--usually combined in the feed--to treat
diseases and parasites.

The supervision of this new industry is shared by several federal agencies,
including the Food and Drug Administration, U.S. Department of Agriculture,
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the Fish and Wildlife
Service (FWS), and the Environmental Protection Agency, along with state and
local authorities. Their common goal is to ensure the safety and
wholesomeness of aquaculture products.

USDA has the overall responsibility for promoting the development of
aquaculture as an industry. FWS provides developmental research and advice to
fish farmers. EPA safeguards the environment and municipal water systems by
regulating the discharge of water from aquaculture facilities and registering
the chemicals used as pesticides and herbicides. NOAA, for a fee, provides an
inspection service that guarantees fish are packed under federal inspection.

FDA works with the individual states to ensure the safety of seafood
products, especially molluscan shellfish such as oysters, clams and mussels.
It also approves the drugs and feed additives used in aquaculture; monitors
the manufacturing, distribution and use of fish drugs; provides technical
assistance and training to the states; conducts research; and provides the
necessary oversight to ensure that fish food products are safe, wholesome and
properly labeled.

FDA's recently created Office of Seafood--in its Center for Food Safety and
Applied Nutrition--is the focal point for much of the agency's food fish
programs. FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine works closely with the Office
of Seafood.

There are five major components to any fish culture operation: fish, water,
container or pond, nutrition, and management practices. Each component plays
a significant role in the farming of a safe and wholesome food. A look at the
actual process provides an understanding of the term "farm-raised."

Raising Catfish

Catfish farming makes up 50 percent of the U.S. aquaculture industry and
typifies aquaculture in action.

The life of a farm-raised catfish begins with the mating of genetically bred
broodstock. Broodstock are sexually mature fish used solely for reproduction.
They are so important that some farmers specialize in their production.

Re: 2/3 Aquaculture and the FDA
Typically, once the eggs are laid and fertilized, they are placed in
controlled hatching tanks with oxygenated water of suitable temperature and
quality. The eggs hatch in seven to eight days, and 18 days after hatching
the young catfish--"fry," as they are called--are strong enough to be
transferred to outdoor ponds to mature.

The pond size may vary from 5 to 20 acres, is 4 to 5 feet deep, and is
usually fed by a good supply of well water. Catfish fry, which are less than
1 inch long at this point, are stocked at densities ranging from 70,000 per
acre to upwards of 200,000 per acre, as recommended by hatchery biologists.

Once fish enter the pond, their growth and survival will wholly depend upon
the quality of that environment. Everything the fish comes into contact with
has the potential of becoming a part of the edible flesh of that organism and
can affect its life. If the water or food contains contaminants, they may end
up in the fish. If improper drugs are used to treat a disease, residues of
those drugs may also become a part of the fish. If too many aquatic plants
are present, they will compete with the fish for oxygen. Sound management is
essential to keep the fish growing.

So, from the time of stocking to the time of harvest, the farmer is busy
controlling the aquaculture system.

First, every attention is given to the quality of the commercially prepared
dry pellet diet. It must be high in protein (30 to 40 percent, depending upon
the stage of growth), made of soybeans, corn, wheat, and fishmeal, and
contain a balance of essential vitamins and minerals in accordance with
recommendations by the National Research Council and fish nutritionists.

Under FDA requirements, the mill that produces the feed guarantees that
ingredients are present at the levels declared on the feed label and that
feeds containing medications meet drug level specifications.

Prior to pelleting, the mill also analyzes each ingredient to guarantee the
absence of toxicants or contaminants. Feeds contaminated with
aflatoxins--toxins that occur in moldy feed ingredients--can cause fish
deformities and even kill the fish. FDA inspectors routinely examine the
mills' feed test results and evaluate their good manufacturing practices.

A balanced diet of floating pellets is mechanically scattered on the fish
pond's surface once or twice daily. Fish gourmets credit the pellet for the
catfish's distinctive flavor, which they say they would recognize
blindfolded. Others say the taste comes from the sweet well water in which
the catfish grow. This, too, is managed by the farmer.

Even before the fish go into the pond, water quality and location are
concerns. The farmers make sure the pond's soil is free of pesticides and not
contaminated. Then they secure an abundant source of clean water. Most
catfish farmers use well water because of its desirable chemical makeup and
lack of contaminants.

The water quality must be constantly checked for optimum growth requirements:
proper temperature, the right amount of oxygen, the appropriate water
chemistry, and just the right balance of aquatic plants and weeds.

To operate, the farmer must meet state and local requirements on water usage
and discharge, as well as the appropriate EPA water permits. Only
FDA-approved drugs may be used, with strict adherence to directions for
use--particularly directions that tell when the drug must be stopped or
"withdrawn" to prevent residues in the fish at the time of harvest.

FDA is alert to the potential misuse of drugs and chemicals, including the
use of unapproved drugs or chemicals. The agency has approved only five
chemicals--including three antibiotics--for use in combating diseases caused
by bacteria in the aquaculture environment. The fish-farming industry
maintains that this is not enough, especially with resistant strains of
bacteria developing to approved antibiotics.

FDA supports research to obtain data on the safe use of certain drugs and is
encouraging drug manufacturers to develop additional therapies for approval.
At the same time, they have developed an enforcement strategy directed
towards those who violate the law by selling or using drugs unapproved for
use in food fish.

To learn the extent of drug use in aquaculture, FDA's Center for Veterinary
Medicine, working with field investigators, recently completed a survey of
catfish, crayfish, and trout producers. The center and the Office of Seafood
are now developing additional analytical methods to test fisheries' products
for drug residues. The center is focusing on illegal residues of drugs from
off-label use: drugs approved in species other than fish that might be used
in fish. The Office of Seafood is focusing on drug residues that may be in
imported seafood and has increased sampling of aquaculture products--both
domestic and imported--for pesticides and industrial chemicals.

Under the best conditions, 18 to 24 months after hatching, the catfish reach
a market weight size of 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds. They are transferred from the
pond to water-laden, oxygen-treated tank trucks for live shipment to the
processing plant.

Once the fish reach the processing plant, the responsibility for quality
control shifts to the processor, who must comply with FDA's good
manufacturing practice regulations and the provisions of the Food, Drug, and
Cosmetic Act. FDA inspectors routinely visit the plant to assess its
compliance with quality control guidelines to guarantee fish quality from
processing to packing and storage. If the plant does not comply with these
requirements, FDA takes appropriate regulatory action.

Re: 3/3 Aquaculture and the FDA
Spokespersons for the catfish industry say they consider quality a number one
priority. "Consumers should know we are offering a product grown in a safe
and controlled environment that is routinely monitored," says Hugh Warren,
executive vice president of the Catfish Farmers of America, a trade
association. "Our [current] major thrust is to create a sense of
understanding that [with farm-grown catfish] they are getting a federally
inspected product."

For 90 percent of catfish processors, federal inspection occurs daily. Major
commercial catfish processors have voluntarily entered into a contract with
the National Marine Fisheries Service--a part of NOAA--to have their products
inspected. The catfish processors pay for this daily inspection service. NOAA
inspectors issue certificates of quality and conditions of the catfish
products. Products that pass inspection can display the seal, "Packed Under
Federal Inspection," on the label or carton.

With some modification in the breeding requirements of each species, similar
methods are used to produce a host of other fin fish and shellfish, with
federal and state authorities similarly involved in making sure they're safe
to eat. As aquaculture becomes more sophisticated, so do the monitoring tools
of government regulators. Their goals, however, remain the same: to keep up
with the industry, provide assistance where they can, and enhance the safety
of all seafood, including the products of aquaculture.

Beverly Corey is a veterinarian with FDA's speechwriting staff.

A World Phenomenon

Aquaculture worldwide is sophisticated and growing. From a global
perspective, China and Japan are still the world leaders whose combined
products exceed an annual value of $12 billion. But, they have been at it a
great many years longer than anyone else.

As the fifth leading producer of aquaculture by dollar value, the United
States is making great strides.

Aquaculture is one of the fastest growing segments of the U.S.
economy--increasing more than 15 percent per year since 1980. From modest
beginnings, the farm value for U.S.-produced fish and other aquaculture
projects has risen in 1991 to $750.2 million and is estimated at 543,770
metric tons, or 11,990,128 pounds.

The boom in fish farming has been brought about by consumer demand for more
fish and a lack of natural supplies. Statistics show that virtually every
species of fin fish harvested from U.S. marine waters is now fished at levels
above its natural capacity to replace itself.

In an age where Americans increasingly search for nutritious but low-fat
foods, fish can be an important part of the diet.

According to the National Fisheries Institute, a trade association based in
Washington, D.C., Americans now consume 22 percent more fish than they did a
decade ago. Analysts believe that the level will continue to increase from
the current rate of 15.5 pounds per person to 20 pounds per person by the
beginning of the next century.

Aquaculture provides a way to supplement natural stocks and to potentially
provide a steady, year-round supply that processors and retailers can depend
on.

As one might expect, the products of aquaculture include the ordinary and the
exotic, and while not all species are farmed in the United States, our
gourmet palates encourage the import of items not fished in our waters.

For example, a specialty food shop may stock such items as salmon raised in
Chile or Norway, dried seaweed from Southeast Asia, eel from Taiwan, and
oysters from Korea--all farm-raised!

Not to worry. FDA inspects imports before they enter the country, usually at
the port of entry. In 1991, FDA conducted 3,541 seafood inspections and
another 4,094 wharf inspections of seafood producers and products. Import
sample collections numbered 3,033.

In special cases, there are memoranda of understanding (MOUs) with foreign
governments that allow FDA to inspect the harvesting areas and processing
plants in the country of origin.

FDA currently has active agreements for molluscan shellfish from Korea,
Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and Chile. FDA also has MOUs with
Iceland, England and Japan. However, these countries are not exporting to the
United States at this time.

Among the 100 or so aquaculture products cultured in the United States are
aquatic plants, eels, abalone, lobsters, carp, tilapia, alligator, trout,
hybrid striped bass, crabs, and a variety of mollusks. But four species
account for 80 percent of the total volume of all domestic aquaculture
products: catfish, crayfish, trout, and salmon.

The latest industry statistics list catfish, trout, salmon, shrimp, oysters,
and crayfish as the consumers' choice of domestic aquaculture products. In
terms of volume, catfish, crayfish and salmon are the industry leaders, while
catfish and trout lead in monetary value. --B.C.

Re: Aquaculture (mention of biodynamics and alternative agriculture)
-------------------------------------
Article 2336 (8 more) in misc.rural:
From: Robert Frederick Enenkel
Subject: Re: Aquaculture
Date: 16 Jan 92 15:33:27 GMT

Aquaculture Magazine is a good source of advertisements from U.S. equipment
suppliers.  They have a reader response card you can send in for information
from any of their advertisers.  It costs $21 / year for 6 issues sent to
Canada (less I think for the U.S.).  There is also a yearly buyer's guide
for $15.  You can order using a credit card by calling 704-254-7334.

Also call Argent at 1-800-426-6258 and ask for their free catalogue and
their book catalogue.  They have aquaculture chemicals and equipment, and
an extensive selection of books.

Try cross-posting your request to both rec.aquaria and alt.aquaria.
There are several people in those groups who practice small-scale
commercial aquaculture, or have in the past.  In the mean time I will
look for some names of specific people to contact by e-mail.

Robert Enenkel

Article 2337 (7 more) in misc.rural:
From: A.S.Chamove
Date: 17 Jan 92 00:28:12 GMT

Best book I have found on aquaculture is

Huet, Marcel. Textbook of Fish Culture: Breeding and Cultivation
of Fish, Eyre & Spottiswoode Ltd at Thanet Press, Margate, UK
1971, ISBN  o/85238/020/8

Has special sections on carp, pike, trout, perch, catfish, eels.
And sections of building dams, feeding, and the usual.

Arnold Chamove
Massey University Psychology
Palmerston North, New Zealand

Article 2346 (6 more) in misc.rural:
From: Ricardo J Salvador
Date: 18 Jan 92 18:22:23 GMT

Mike Campbell is a graduate student in the Agricultural Education & Studies
department here.  He has experience and a great interest in aquaculture,
biodynamics and alternative agriculture.  He is currently working on
developing a curriculum in aquaculture under a fairly sizeable grant
received by his department.  He is not on the net, but if you wish to
contact him, call the AgEdS main office here and ask for him: 515-294-5904.

Ricardo Salvador      | Internet:   rjsalvad@IASTATE.EDU | "Thou art a little
1126 Agronomy Hall    | BITNET:     a1.rjs@ISUMVS        | soul bearing about
Iowa State University | CompuServe: 71570,212            | a corpse."
Ames, IA 50011-1010   | GEnie:      R.Salvador           | -Marcus  Aurelius-

Article 2347 (5 more) in misc.rural:
From: Bill Spikes
Date: 17 Jan 92 17:32:54 GMT

Along these lines, does anyone know of anyone specifically growin'
abalones? The Dept of Fish & Game either doesn't plant enough or the
sea otters are getting too frisky.

Bill

Article 2423 (20 more) in misc.rural:
From: John Long
Date: 29 Jan 92 19:55:59 GMT

>Along these lines, does anyone know of anyone specifically growin'
>abalones? The Dept of Fish & Game either doesn't plant enough or the
>sea otters are getting too frisky.

There is a research project in Kona looking at the possibility of generating
power from the difference in temperature between surface and deep sea water,
known as ocean thermal energy conversion (OTEC). As a sideline in the project,
the used cold water is piped to aquaculture experiments at the site.

The aquaculture experiments have been successful enough to become commercial,
one of them is even doing very well on the stock market (that's the most
important thing, after all!  ;^)

Abalone are grown, as are 'Maine' lobsters, salmon have been spawned, and
have returned and been harvested, edible seaweeds, and others.

Cold water from the deep has many advantages over surface water, which I
can't enumerate. All in all, the aquaculture experiments have been extremely
promising.

-LongJohn

3767
Article 3767 (14 more) in misc.rural:
From: bj368@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Mike E. Romano)
Date: 15 Oct 92 03:13:01 GMT

There has been a great deal of intensive fish farming going on
in parts of Asia for at least centuries so they have developed
a number of efficient systems.  Generally the carp species are
best suited since they can thrive on a variety of feeds many of
which can be produced in a farm situation as a byproduct.
The tilapia species in particular are well suited to raising
in a small high production pond although certain requisites in-
clude maintaining a fairly warm pond temp. (65 to 85 deg F),
some aeration of the water, and certain companion plants.
Experiments were done for several years at the New Alchemy
Institute in Massachusetts, installing the ponds inside a
greenhouse for warmth through the seasons and using plexiglass
tanks to let sunlight in from the sides although this is not
necessary.  The earthworms would certainly be a feed for the
fish but tilapia surprisingly tend to do better if the diet is
lower in protein, so other feeds could be added.  Tilapia are
a bit like pigs;  they'll eat almost anything so kitchen scraps
or cuttings from a veg garden are also useful.
At the risk of getting a bit too graphic: tilapia can thrive on
manure alone as a feed, although I cannot remember which manure
is most suitable for this, I think pig manure is used in
Malaysia and works quite well.

Article 3954 (30 more) in misc.rural:
From: bill@chaos.cs.umn.edu (Hari Seldon...psychohistorian)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1992 21:44:33 GMT

In <1binjtINN9jg@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> bj368@cleveland.Freenet.Edu
(Mike E. Romano) writes:

>The tilapia species in particular are well suited to raising

i do believe that this particular species is *not* wanted in
this particular state by the local natural resources folks.
i think it had something to do with their tendancy to take over.
so you might want to verify if any species you want are allowed
in your state. tilapia will also live quite well in a ditch
(if the information generated by the local d.n.r. is true)

bill pociengel
Article 3958 (29 more) in misc.rural
From: Mark Crispin

There is a problem with Asian style fish ponds that may make you think twice
about whether or not you really want one.  They're natural incubators for new
strains of influenza.

It goes like this; it is pretty common to keep both ducks and pigs at a fish
pond.  The pigs eat, among other things, duck manure; and both ducks and pigs
are protein sources for humans.  So far so good.

Unfortunately, as a result of eating the duck manure the pigs are exposed to
avian influenza.  Apparently, through some not-yet-completely understood
processes, the avian influenza and swine influenza viruses combine or mutate
inside the pig and become a new strain.  Humans can't get avian influenza but
they can get swine influenza.

The massive expansion in the number of fish ponds in Asia under UN funding is
postulated as a probable cause of the great number of new strains of influenza
which have emerged in Asia.

I would suggest that if you do have a fish pond, it would be prudent not to
permit your pigs to eat avian manure.  This would hopefully break the cycle.

As I implied, this process hasn't been proven yet, but it's the most plausible
explanation offered to date for the observations.  While we're spending
billions of dollars in the name of prudence with `global warming' (which
remains unproven), it seems reasonable to take a few less costly steps to
prevent your fish pond from being a potential source of a new strain of flu.

Article 3961 (28 more) in misc.rural:
From: bj368@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Mike E. Romano)
Date: 16 Oct 1992 03:04:11

To Dean Nelson:  your original posting asked about the use of
earthworms which are thriving on the rabbit manure on your
farm.
I wrote a reply concerning some aspects of the fish pond
system and the tilapia fish in particular.
Since you do not have pigs, then the mention of pig manure
should not be as specific advice, only that this particular
fish is extremely hardy.
Several postings on this thread have advised caution in these
areas.
Let's go back to the original, then.  A small farm with various
possibilities of using byproducts in an efficient manner.
This particular subject has intrigued me for several years.
Much literature is written on farming for a profit, looking
for the right crop and raising it for the highest production,
essentially for an external market.
I am much more interested in how =well= say a family of four
can feed itself on a small piece of land, say 5 acres.
There are books and studies in this area, especially for
efficient vegetable production.
But beyond that, for such a small land area, for meat eaters
(such as myself),  how efficient can a system be designed for
the smaller livestock, i.e. poultry, rabbits, etc.?
For example, could certain insects be bred specifically for
feed for one of these (and let's include a fish pond too)?
There is an insect food newsletter from a university back
east but I do not have the name handy.
The earthworms are close, then, to this idea.  What would
be the most efficient way to use them for food production
on a small homestead?
I think much more research should be done in this area.
As for the fish pond, a bass pond or some other fish may
be more useful for your location.
However, tilapia being a  tasty and easy to grow fish and
also often grown organically so that a higher price can be
had, is a fast growing fish industry, although it has been
slow to catch on in the U.S.
A few refs:

     The dome as nursery and breeding pool for tilapia.
    R. Zweig   New Alchemy Institute  1980

    Summary of fish culture techniques in solar algae ponds.
   R. Zweig, Wolfe J. et al   New Alchemy Institute  1980

   Tilapia Culture:  1979-1990  Quick Biblio service USDA
    Beltsville MD    March 1991

Article 3977 (23 more) in misc.rural:
From: enenkel@cs.toronto.edu (Robert Frederick Enenkel)
Date: 19 Oct 92 15:13:15 GMT

I've lost the original posting, but I suggest calling Argent Aquaculture
Supplies at 1-800-663-2871 (Canada) or 1-800-426-6258 (USA) and ask for
their book catalogue.  While you're at it, ask for their aquaculture
products catalogue too.  They'll send you both free.  They have a large
selection of useful aquaculture books.  (Some of their book prices are a bit
high, so after finding the books you want from their descriptions, you might
want to check with a local bookstore to see what their special-order price
would be.  Sometimes it is significantly less.)

While I'm at it, let me put in a plug for Carp.  Common Carp are the *best
tasting* and *best looking* fish.  They are also friendly and will stick
their big leathery tubular mouths right out of the water and take bread,
say, right out of your hand.  So there - I've said it.  I raise carp
in my basement and eat them, and boy are they good.  I've even roasted one
in my fireplace.  How's that for wild crap (carp?)

Now I just have to figure out how to get them to spawn.  Then I'll be
<<self-sufficient>> and can kiss the rest of the world good-bye :-) :-)

Robert Enenkel

Article 3981 (35 more) in misc.rural:
From: bj368@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Mike E. Romano)
Date: 20 Oct 1992 08:06:26 GMT

In reference to Robert Enenkel's posting of growing carp in
his home.
If he has the time, it would be very interesting to find out
a little more:
What kind of lighting is used, any plants.
What is fed them, the temperature range where they are kept.
Is this a Canadian traditional custom, raising carp in the
basement?
Seriously, if you've read some of my previous posting you
would know that I am seriously interested in small scale
fish raising such as you have mentioned.
Any info would be appreciated.
mike romano

Article 3982 (34 more) in misc.rural:
From: bj368@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Mike E. Romano)
Date: 20 Oct 1992 09:29:30 GMT

  In reference to Larry London's request for further cites of
publications by New Alchemy and on the subject of
bioremediation, I have the following from my files:

Solar Aquaculture: perspectives in renewable, resource based
fish production, results for a workshop at Falmouth, Mass.
Sept 28, 1981  supported by the National Science Foundation
New Alchemy Institute.

Bioremediation for marine oil spills.  U.S. Gov Doc.  Office
of Technology Assessment  1991
doc # Y 3.T 22/2:2 B 52.7

Bioremediation of contaminated surface soils by Sims &
Matthews.   EPA  1989    EP 1.23/6:600/9-90/041

National Conference on Bioremediation (1988).  Hazardous
waste treatment by genetically engineered or adapted
organisms.  Superfund '88.  Silver Springs, MD

Bioremediation of petroleum spills in arctic environments.
Alaska Dept of Transportation  1990

Understanding Bioremediation: a guidebook for citizens.
EPA  1991    doc  EP 1.8:B 52/2

Quick Bibliography Series # 92-47.
Biotechnology and Bioremediation.  National Agricultural
Library   Beltsville MD  1991

Practical environmental bioremediation.  Barry King
Lewis Publishing   1992.

Article 3985 (32 more) in misc.rural:
From: enenkel@cs.toronto.edu (Robert Frederick Enenkel)
Date: 20 Oct 92 15:19:51 GMT

>My step-father had a good way of preparing carp.  Take one carp, nail it
>to a board.  Build a nice smokey fire and slowly rotate the carp for several
>hours.  Then take the carp off......... and eat the board.  ;>

Actually, I forgot to mention the one bad thing about carp:  the bones!
They have the strength of piano wire and are quite dangerous, as well as
easy, to get stuck in your throat if you're not careful.  It helps to get
a large carp, at least 12 pounds, as small ones are functionally inedible
due to the large number of Y-bones.     Robert Enenkel

Article 3998 (39 more) in misc.rural:
From: Bob Kyweriga <bobk2@cfsmo.honeywell.com>
Subject: Aquaculture
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1992 15:10:49 GMT

: I am interested in starting up a small tank or pond to raise some fish.
: Does anyone know a good source of information?

        A good introduction to aquaculture is

        The Freshwater Aquaculture Book
         - A Handbook for Small Scale Fish Culture
            in North America
        William McLarney
        ISBN 0-88179-018-4

        This is still in print - and if you just want to
        look at this, your library can probably get it
        through a interlibrary loan.

        A guide to small tank culture is

        Home Aquaculture
        - A Guide to Backyard Fish Farming
        Steven D. VanGorden
        Douglas J. Strange
        Rodale Press
        ISBN 0-87857-472-7

        Maybe available from Rodale Press;
        otherwise maybe available from

        Steven Van Gorden
        PO Box 109
        Breinigville  PA  18031

        Who also has available a bunch of information
        sheets on a variety of issues.  Also publishes
        a quarterly newsletter that you probably wouldn't

Article 4010 (44 more) in misc.rural:
From: Bob Kyweriga <bobk2@cfsmo.honeywell.com>
To: misc.rural
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1992 15:57:48 GMT

        I've been informed that some people are having
        difficulty in reaching the list server for AQUA-L.

        If you cannot reach

        LISTSERV%VM.UoGuelph.CA@VM1.NoDak.EDU

        you might try

        LISTSERV@vm.uoguelph.ca

Article 4010 (44 more) in misc.rural:
From: Bob Kyweriga <bobk2@cfsmo.honeywell.com>

To: misc.rural
Sender: daemon@src.honeywell.com
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1992 15:57:48 GMT
Received-Date: Thu, 22 Oct 92 10: 57:39 CDT

        I've been informed that some people are having
        difficulty in reaching the list server for AQUA-L.

        If you cannot reach

        LISTSERV%VM.UoGuelph.CA@VM1.NoDak.EDU

        you might try

--MORE--(96%)

        LISTSERV@vm.uoguelph.ca

End of article 4010 (of 4016)--what next? [npq] From alenssen@LAMAR.COLOSTATE.EDU Tue Nov  2 16:57:34 1993
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1993 14:05:58 MST
From: Andy Lenssen <alenssen@LAMAR.COLOSTATE.EDU>
Reply to: Agriculture Discussion <AGRIC-L@uga.cc.uga.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list AGRIC-L <AGRIC-L@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: Re: Artichoke experts

On Tue, 2 Nov 1993 14:52:05 -0600, Tom Bauer wrote:

>I am looking for specialists in the area of artichoke production. Does
>any one have any suggestions of persons I may talk to.
>
>Thanks, Tom Bauer, Winrock International
>TOMB@WINROCK.ORG or phone (501)727.5435 Ext. 253

Whitney Cranshaw, Dept. of Entomology, Colorado State University, is the
expert artichoke grower in this area of the US.  A Lenssen