[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: information request: lambsquarters (fwd)

In article <9410221457.AA04250@sunsite.oit.unc.edu> you write:
> Hi! For my B.Sc. (Agric)- horticulture undergraduate project I am examining
> different seed treatments of lamb's quarters (Chenopodium album L.) in order to
> obtain information for a better method to increase harvestable yield of
> herbage. Yes herbage!
>    I am examining this plant as it is a suitable potherb and there is a market
> for it (and it tastes good too!).
>    I am looking for information about:
> - edible uses, culture, other uses (ie. cover crop, forage)

Here is what the "Plants for a Future" plant database has to say about it ...

Latin name: Chenopodium album
Botanical references: 17
Family: Chenopodiaceae
Common name: Fat hen
Habit: Annual
Deciduous/Evergreen:
Height:            0.9
Width:            0.2
Hardyness:
Range: Britain.
Habitat: A common weed of cultivated g
Soil: LMH
Shade: N
Moisture: M
Well-drained: 0
Nitrogen fixer: 0
pH: ANB
Acid: 0
Alkaline: 0
Saline: 0
Wind:
Growth rate:
Pollution:
Poor soil: 0
Drought: 0
Wildlife: 0
Woodland: 0
Meadow: 0
Wall: 0
In leaf:
Flowering time: 7 - 10
Seed ripens: 8 - 10
Flower Type: H
Pollinators: Wind
Self-fertile:
Known hazards: The leaves and seeds of all
               members of this genus are
               more or less edible.
               However, many of the species
               in this genus contain
               saponins, though usually in
               quantities too small to do
               any harm. Although toxic,
               saponins are poorly absorbed
               by the body and most pass
               straight through without any
               problem. They are also
               broken down to a large
               extent in the cooking
               process. Saponins are found
               in many foods, such as some
               beans. The plants also
               contain some oxalic acid,
               which in large quantities
               can lock up some of the
               nutrients in the food, but
               they are very nutritious
               vegetables in reasonable
               quantities.  There is also a
               report that very large
               quantities of the leaves
               have caused photosensitivity
               in some people[74]. Only the
               raw leaves can cause
               problems, and then only if
               large quantities are
               consumed[172].

Synonyms: C. reticulatum.

Cultivation details: Succeeds on most soils, but
                     dislikes shade[1, 200].
                     Prefers a moderately fertile
                     soil[200].
                     In moderate amounts this
                     plant is a good companion
                     for potatoes, corn and
                     cucurbits[20, 54].
                     Responds directly to the Mg
                     content of the soil so it
                     can be used as an
                     indicator[114].
                     Occassionally cultivated as
                     a food crop,[46] there is at
                     least one named
                     variety[183]. Called
                     'Magenta' in reference to
                     the colour of its leaves, it
                     is considered by some people
                     to be the best tasting of
                     all potherbs[183].

Edible uses: Leaves - raw or cooked[2, 4,
             5, 9, 12, 20, 54, 62, 102].
             A very acceptable spinach
             substitute[183]. The leaves
             are best not eaten raw, see
             notes at the top of the
             page[74]. The leaves are
             generally very nutritious
             but very large quantities
             can disturb the nervous
             system and cause gastric
             pain[74]. The leaves contain
             about 3.9% protein, 0.76%
             fat, 8.93% carbohydrate, 3%
             ash[179].
             Edible seed - dried and
             ground into a meal and eaten
             raw or baked into a
             bread[[2, 4, 12, 14, 54,
             102, 183]. The seed can also
             be sprouted and added to
             salads[183]. The seed is
             very fiddly to harvest and
             use due to its small
             size[9]. The seed should be
             soaked in water overnight
             and thoroughly rinsed before
             it is used in order to
             remove any saponins. Seeds
             contain about 49%
             carbohydrate, 16% protein,
             7% ash, 5.88% ash[114, 179].
             Young inflorescences -
             cooked[183].
Medicinal: Antiphlogistic,
           antirheumatic,
           odontalgic[172].

Uses notes:  A green dye is obtained
             from the young shoots[99].
             The crushed fresh roots are
             a mild soap substitute[106].

Propagation 1: Seed - sow spring in situ.
               Usually self-sows freely in
               most soils.

Cultivars: -
Heavy clay: 0