[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Info needed on Nim (Neem?) tree

This section is from the document '/.pub/academic/agriculture/sustainable_agriculture/mailing-lists/devel-l/devel-l.002'.

>From veerasam@CC.GATECH.EDU Tue Aug 31 11:04:18 1993
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1993 01:30:05 EDT
From: Veerasamy Aravindan <veerasam@CC.GATECH.EDU>
To: Multiple recipients of list DEVEL-L <DEVEL-L@AMERICAN.EDU>
Subject: Re: Info needed on Nim (Neem?) tree

Being from a place where neem trees are just one of things you get for
granted, I did not pay much attention to how it is being cultivated...
It just grows on the roadside and is a common site in the southern parts
of India. It is not "cultivated", but grows on its own.
I understand that I am kinda "lay man"-ish here.

However, I know that neem trees have good medicinal properties.
Traditional medicinal pratice (called Ayurvedic medicine as opposed to the
Allopathic western medicine) uses neem seeds and leaves for quite a few
illnesses. Neem leaves have some property (think it is anti-bacterial)
which makes it a good medicine against different poxes (I have seen it
commonly used for chicken pox).
My 2 cents worth...
--Samy
(veerasam@cc.gatech.edu)