[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Property Caretaking

    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]

If you, or someone you know, ever need a property caretaker, we can help.
You can run a free help-wanted ad (up to 50 words) in THE CARETAKER GAZETTE.
I've prepared some info below on the property caretaking field. Please let
me know if I can help answer any property caretaking questions you might
have. Take care, Gary Dunn, Publisher, THE CARETAKER GAZETTE.
(garydunn@pullman.com)

What is a caretaker?

>>For those who are not involved in the profession, the word "caretaker" may
>>have numerous meanings. But for the growing number of people who are
>>dedicated to the caretaking profession and land stewardship, a caretaker is
>a property caretaker: a person hired by a landowner to care for his or her
>property in exchange for compensation.
>>
>>What is land stewardship?
>>
>>Land stewardship is the concept of caring for land to ensure that it
>remains intact and productive for future generations. Caretakers act as land
>stewards when their responsibilities include preservation and maintenance
>activities. To quote Wendell Berry, author of The Unsettling of America,
>"The care of the earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all,
>our most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it, and to
>foster its renewal, is our only legitimate hope."
>>
>>Is caretaking a new profession?
>>
>>No, it's actually a very old profession,rooted in the British tradition of
>>land maintenance. In 1868 The Times of London defined a caretaker as "a
>>person put in charge of a farm from which the tenant has been evicted."
>>Today, that definition has been expanded to cover a multitude of
>>landowner/caretaker relationships. The number and diversity of these
>>relationships has increased during the past decade. As more and more
>>landowners hire caretakers to watch over their property, the caretaking
>>profession continues to grow in popularity.
>>
>>Who hires caretakers?
>>
>>Many different types of property owners hire caretakers. Landowners, large
>>and small, individuals or institutions, can benefit by utilizing the
>>services of a qualified caretaker. Farmers, ranchers, homesteaders,
>estates, camps, parks, lodges, and nature preserves all employ caretakers.
>>
>>What skills and experience are required for caretaking?
>>
>>While many landowners seek experienced caretakers with specific skills
>(e.g. maintenance, farming, ranching or animal husbandry) others are willing
>to take on and train people with general backgrounds. As with most other
>occupations, such traits as honesty, common sense, and flexibility are key
>prerequisites. For caretakers who live and work alone on the property of an
>absentee landowner, the ability to function independently and fulfill one's
>responsibilities without daily guidance and instruction from the landowner
>are important qualifications. Although a love of nature and solitude is
>important, having hobbies and interests (e.g. reading, writing, painting,
>photography) that can be pursued in what are often remote areas is extremely
>helpful.
>>
>>What are the duties and responsibilities of a caretaker?
>>
>>The duties and responsibilities of a caretaker are as varied as the
>>landowners and caretakers themselves. Caretaking can give one the
>>opportunity to work in dozens of areas, among them: groundskeeping, land
> [...]
what do we call the next decade?