[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ARTICLES FOR AFGC NEWS

Greetings. Last March at the American Forage and Grassland  Council annual
meeting in Pennsylvania I became a member of AFGC's newsletter committee.
The reason I was added is that I am chairman of the 1996 AFGC meeting
which will be held in Vancouver, B.C. They want the chairs of the two
upcoming annual meetings on this committee to feed information on the
meetings into the newsletter.

However, there is more to being on the committee than that! I am also
responsible for submitting articles from the Pacific Northwest ( B.C.,
Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana) for the newsletter. I hope you can
help me by providing articles or suggesting things that would make good
stories. I'm told by the chair of the newsletter committee that papers for
the newsletter are reviewed by two members of the committee, thus authors
could list them on their publication list.

The following are the guidelines for submitting articles:

                      INSTRUCTIONS TO AUTHORS

The AFGC News is mailed quarterly to its members with a current
circulation of 11,000. As of January 1993, the AFGC News has expanded to
include up to eight pages of articles of general interest to its readers.
The following instructions must be followed for articles to be accepted
for publication in the AFGC News.

   1. At least one author must be a current member of AFGC (direct or
through an affiliate council).
   2. Articles are to be written in a popular style, with the intended
audience being our own members, most of whom are producers.
   3. Articles or stories can be written dealing with any of the following
areas:
       a) Applied research studies
       b) Extension demonstrations
       c) Review articles
       d) Editorial-opinion papers
       e) Innovative producer stories
   4. Each manuscript will be peer reviewed by an editorial committee and
will be accepted or rejected based upon its correctness and
appropriateness for the News.
   5. Article subject matter must deal with livestock-forage or hay
production.
   6. Maximum length of an article is to be four pages (text
double-spaced) using the current AFGC News format unless special
permission is granted by the Editor. The four pages include figures and
tables. (PS For those not familiar with this publication, I will have a
copy that I can fax you a sample article. DB).
   7. All papers must use the English system of measurement, with metric
used in parenthesis if the author desires.
   8. The number citation (1) or name-year system (Smith, 1991) will be
used and references listed in alphabetical order by the surname of
authors.
   9. Abbreviations should not be used unless previously described.
  10. Format should be as follows:
           Title
           Author(s)
           Institution and location
           Executive summary (100 words or less)
           Introduction
           Procedures
           Results and discussion
  11. To submit articles for possible publication:
       a) Send 3 copies to: Gerald W. Evers
                            P.O. Box E
                            Overton,Texas 75684

       b) If possible, also send manuscript on a diskette using
WordPerfect.
       c) Papers become the property of AFGC unless released back to the
author.

If you are able to do an article, can you please let me know when you send
it to Gerald Evers so that I am aware something has gone forward from the
Pacific Northwest.

Thank you very much for your help. Please call or fax me if you have any
suggestions for possible stories or any questions. Area code is 604.

Don Bates