[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: how do plants...

Evan Cooch (cooch@fraser.sfu.ca) wrote:
: In a slight twist on follow-up to my early simplistic query about timing of
: reproduction in plants, the following:

:  how do plants "tell time"? I.E., what are the physical/biocehmical
: mechanisms by which a plant determines "what time" it is?

: There is a ton of literature on this in vertebrates (especially birds). I was
: owndering what the equivalent story is for plants. Again, I'm simply looking
: for a few pointers to references, not pointers on how overly simplistic this
: question is (the simplicity of it I deduce for myself from reading the papers,
: obviously!). :-)

Try reading "Life Processes of Plants" by AW(?) Galston, 1994, Sci. American
Press.  There's a whole chapter on this.

regards,

Toby Tyrrell
Plymouth Marine Laboratory,
Prospect Place,
Plymouth PL1 3DU.

tt@pml.ac.uk

Send away for Loompanics Unlimited Catalog(5 US$) for LOTS of "the best
books in the world"

Loompanics Unlimited
PO BOX