From: Thomas_Bjorkman@cornell.edu (Thomas Bjorkman)
Newsgroups: sci.agriculture
Subject: Re: Controlled Ecological Life Support Sys.
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 1994 16:23:00 -0500
Sender: tnb1@cornell.edu (Verified)

In article <1994Mar31.081414.141298@yuma>, mcarroll@lamar.ColoState.EDU
(Matthew Carroll) wrote:

> I am looking for a reference on the affects of temperature and
> humidity on plant photosynthesis rate and a formula which can
> relate the two.  Any help in locating this would be appreciated.

A quick literature search brought up 233 recent research articles
specifically on that.  I personally like Park S. Nobel's book "Biophysical
Plant Physiology and Ecology" for this subject (and he has an even newer
book with a similar title).

The short answer:  Photosynthesis increases with temperature until it gets
too hot, then it goes down.  Low humidity tends to close stomata, reducing
photosynthesis.  Parts of the relationship can be explained by physical
laws, and Nobel's book has all the formulae.  Overall, though the exact
relationship will be different for just about every leaf.  The species,
genotype, growing conditions, age of plant, age of leaf, other present
conditions will all affect how large an effect changes in temperature and
humidity will have on photosynthesis.