[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Botanical Software???

I believe the new and soon-to-be-released DCROM version of Sunset's
Garden Book meets most if not all of your criteria, however it covers
plants most suitable for the US West.

In addition, I have found these products, looking since ~August/94:

     Hort-A-Sort ($69.95) from Birdbrain Software easily wins the
silliest name award, but its 2,000 plant encyclopedia shows an
intelligent mind under the humor. Hort-A-Sort is divided into nine
databases, but they seem more logical than Flower Finder's three --
flowering plants, for example, are lumped together, with separate
categories for cacti and succulents, alpine and rock plants, herbs and
everlastings, etc. No plants can be added, and the biggest drawback is
you can only search by one criterion at a time. This is laborious (and
searches are slow even in the small-sized demo version I reviewed), but
help menus are onscreen to list choices. Herb information was especially
good, and there are plant sources for all entries.
Hort-A-Sort
Birdbrain Software
S74 W20800 Field Dr.
Muskego, WI 53150

===

     Plant-finder programs are enormously useful, integrating lots of
encyclopedic information, a definite advantage over paging through
scattered books and catalogs, and good systems make searches fast and
efficient. The Cadillac of the plant-finders is Hortis Opis ($250). Only
Volume I is available, with 5,000 trees, shrubs, vines, bamboos and
grasses. Complete with cultivars and vendor sources, it's a computerized
catalog. (Unfortunately, Volume II -- annuals, perennials, bulbs, roses,
ferns -- may be awhile, and vegetables aren't even planned.) Easy and
well designed, Hortis Opis has 18 search criteria with pop-up help menus,
a gratifying feature. Plant information is meticulous and exhaustive,
with a pop-up journal for notes. If you could add plants to this
magnificent encyclopedia, Hortis Opis would be perfect.
Hortis Opis
J. Mendoza Gardens
18 E. 16th St.
New York City, NY 10003
212-989-4253

If you receive other inforomation directly, would you repost it or
forward it to me as well? Thanx.