[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Book Advice Sought

In article <4hf50i$1qq@no-names.nerdc.ufl.edu>, Laura McNamara <Laura_McNamara@sfa.ufl.edu> writes:

>---------------------------------13333104211977
>
>I like "Park's Success with Seeds" which you can find in used books
>stores once in awhile.  It's pretty specific in its directions.
>

>---------------------------------13333104211977
>
>I need a comprehensive resource on growing flowers from seed, or on flower
>propagation in general.  The Fragrant Path seed company recommends How to
>Grow Flowers from Seeds, by Elvin McDonald.  Does anyone know of this or
>any other good references?
>
>Thanks from,
>
>Nancy
>Zone 5  SE Iowa
>
>---------------------------------13333104211977--

The ultimate reference is "Seed germination theory & practice" by Norman Deno.
Try to get it thru your library or you can order it directly from him:

Prof. Norman Deno
139 Lenore Drive
State College, PA  16801

I believe it costs $20 - $25.

Article 32416 of rec.gardens:
From: Louise_Mateos@smtp.esl.com (Louise Mateos)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: Re: Seed Savers Exchange?
Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 09:13:51 -0800

In article <2qut06$p2v@search01.news.aol.com>, brewtim@aol.com (BrewTim)
wrote:

> I like to interject on occasion and ask people to remember the corn blight
> about 8-10 years ago. A substantial amount of  corn grown for commercial use
> shared a few common genes which made them succeptible to the blight.
> Cross-breeding the corn offered resistant plants. What if the old corn seed
> with the blight resistant gene had been 'rejected' and gone extinct?

The place in NM is call Seeds of Change.  They also have a book out called,
you guessed it, "Seeds of Change".  I'm about 1/4 through it--so far an
interesting read.  They describe some of the problems that have occurred in
the recent past due to loss of genetic diversity, including the corn blight
mentioned above.  I have yet to subscribe to SSE or get the Seeds of Change
catalog, but I'm getting more interested.  What I'd really like to know is,
what is the best reference for saving your own seed.  If I grow something
that is so fantastic, grows great in my garden conditions, etc., I'd like
to be able to save some of the seed myself so that I don't have to depend
on either the big seed suppliers or the heirloom savers.  Anyone out there
know of a good reference?
(I'll post a summary if I get significant input.)

--
Louise Mateos