[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Discussion articles on sustainability

As editor of American Journal of Alternative Agriculture, I am delighted that
several articles we have published on fundamental aspects of agricultural
sustainability have provoked interesting discussion and comment, most
recently the extended response by Ed Rayburn to the article "Energetics and
ecosystem integrity: The defining principles of sustainable agriculture", by
Timothy Crews, Charles Mohler and Alison Power [AJAA 6(3):146-149 (1991)].

Those of you who don't regularly see AJAA may be interested to know that this
is one of a many we have had on the same general theme.  Others include:

   "Sustainability isn't enough" by Vernon Ruttan [3:(2-3):128-130 (1988)]

   "What is alternative agriculture?" by Pierre Crosson [4(1):28-32 (1989)]

   "What is alternative agriculture?" by J. Patrick Madden [4(1):32-34 (1989)]

   "Integrating social, environmental, and economic issues in sustainable
    agriculture" by Patricia Allen, Debra Van Dusen, Jackelyn Lundy, and
    Stephen Gliessman [6(1):34-39 (1991)] (This article has received
    discussion on SANET already)

   "Assessing the character of agricultural production systems: Issues and
    implications" by Sandra S. Batie and Daniel B. Taylor [6(4):184-187
    1991)]

   "Some ideas and guidelines for research on ecological agriculture" by
    Joachim Raupp [9(1-2):84-87 (1994)]

The last of these appeared in a double issue devoted primarily to papers from
the Conference on Science and Sustainability, organized by Washington State
University in 1993.  Many of these were concerned with specific projects that
in one way or another reflect the more general issues discussed in the papers
listed above.

It seems, as Koheleth the Preacher might have said: "Of making many papers on
sustainable agriculture there is no end." But judging by the continuing
discussion here, I don't know whether SANET-ers would accept his conclusion:
"Much study is weariness of the flesh. Let us hear the conclusion of the
whole matter."

William Lockeretz