[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Books cited in "Jerky"

According to jhaskett@asrr.arsusda.gov:

> Of the three works mentioned above only Jeavon's book deals the issue of how
> much of one's diet can be produced on a small garden. The other two books are
> strictly how-to books that do not discuss this subject at all. Jaevon's book
> deals with this mostly obliquely in comparisons of estimated energy and
> water consumption between commercial agriculture and the
> biodynamic/french intensive method. The only place I have been able to find
> in which Jeavon's deals with this directly is on page 68 (Jeavons,J.
> 1991. How to Grow More Vegetables. Revised. Ten Speed Press. Berkely
> California).  ...

 In short, none of these sources address the question
> adequately.

Oh dear me, I can't resist putting half a cent's worth of
comment into this discussion.  All the books which have been
mentionned so far are actually quite recent.  There hasn't been
any real incentive for at least 30 or 40 years for people to
produce a large part of their diet in a backyard garden.
However, I would be willing to bet that if we went into the
literature put out by USDA and others about the Victory gardens
of WWI and WWII we would find the figures to answer this
question.  I have the distinct feeling that I have seen
charts/tables giving this kind of data, but for the life of me
I can't remember where.  From where I sit, I don't have access
to old USDA pubs or old agricultural journals (with the
exception of the Yearbooks of Agriculture) but for those of you
who do, go do some digging, I think you will be fascinated with
what you find published in those "bygone" days :).  If I can
find anything in the Yearbooks of Ag, I post it.  If anyone
else finds anything I hope you will post that.

Happy hunting and best wishes to all

Margaret

--
Margaret Merrill