[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Purpose of agroecology text

On Thu, 19 Oct 1995, Nancy Grudens Schuck wrote:

> Molly - re: Jim's thoughts below. I agree that there isn't any one good
> text - but a text would have some advantages. For the sus ag course I am
> taking now I have purchased six books and a massive $50 course packet - for
> a total cost of about $220. Kind of steep. Is this why you want a 'text',
> e.g. a single book, or are we misunderstanding what you mean by 'text'? But
> these days, I am turned off by courses that offer texts - seems too simple.
> Nancy Grudens Schuck

I agree entirely on cost---I try to keep total costs for a course in the
$40-$70 range.  For the agroecology course next spring, I'll probably end
up with a packet of readings.  There are many, many good research
projects and review articles on different aspects of agroecology.
However, a course based on a packet of readings can suffer from lack of
cohesion (and dealing with copyrights is a BIG headache).  Sometimes,
especially for students who have little previous knowledge of the
subject, a single text can help provide focus.  Much of the "focus" is
the responsibility of the professor, of course;  but a text can help
quite a bit.  As an example, for a course I teach on "Environment and Food
Supply", I use the World Resources Institute's _World Resources 1994-95:
A Guide to the Global Environment_ as a base text, supplemented with
readings.

To be more specific, I'm looking for a text that provides an
overview of ecological principles relevant to agricultural systems.  I've
found a few books with titles like _Ecology for Environmental
Professionals_, but nothing yet that seems appropriate for folks who will
work with agricultural systems.  My doctorate was in ecology, and I am
well aware that much of agricultural science is intrinsically ecology.
However, introductions to agriculture seldom approach the field as an
ecologist would.

The suggestions folks have posted so far have been helpful.  Most would
be useful, in one way or another;  but none so far are sufficiently
comprehensive and clearly written to serve as an introduction.  I'll post
a compilation in a few days, because several people have asked for that.

Molly Anderson
Director, Degree Program in Agriculture, Food and Environment
Tufts University School of Nutrition Science and Policy
Medford, MA  02155-7028