[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: clarification

Dean,

The most recent issue of The Growing Edge (Fall 1994 Volume 6 Number 1) has
an excellent article comparing different artifical light sources by
Don Parker "Lighting for Beginners - Part II". Don't be insulted by the
title. It's probably the best article I've seen that explains and compares
the incandescent, fluorescent, mercury vapour, metal halide and high
pressure sodium lamps as light sources for indoor gardening.

I subscribe to The Growing Edge, a US magazine out of Oregon. It can be
bought in magazine stores in Canada, and highly recommend it, especially if
your interested in hydroponics and light gardening.

Briefly, I agree with Don Parker in his article, fluorescent light sources
such as grow lux are great for starting seeds and cuttings, and you may
even be able to grow some lettuce with them. (I grow orchid seedlings,
pleurothallid orchids and vegetable starters for the spring under
fluorescents). But there poor for plants that need lots of light to fruit
or flower, as well as for tall plants. High Pressure Sodium works well for
these especially the Son Agro. I used one this winter and was very happy
with it. But beware of the heat generated so water your plants well.

Steve Saunders
Canadian Orchid Congress - Orchid Society of Nova Scotia
Blockhouse, Nova Scotia, Canada
ssaunder@fox.nstn.ns.ca
 --
 Steve Saunders, Nova Scotia, Canada
 ssaunder@fox.nstn.ns.ca

Mon 18 May 92
Newsletter: "Growing for Market"

Market gardeners are editing and publishing this new
monthly newsletter, containing details of interest
to professionals in the field.
Subscriptions cost $24 per year
in the U.S.; $27 to Canada; $32 overseas.
Sample copies are $2.00 in the U.S.; $2.50 to Canada; $3.00 overseas.
Order from Fairplain Publications
P.O. Box 365
Auburn, KS, 66402.