[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: chicken candling query.

On Mon, 18 Sep 1995 00:55:02 -0400 (EDT)  Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
>On Sun, 17 Sep 1995, sal wrote:
>
>> You can candle eggs and watch the progress.  You see right off what is
>living and then can watch the baby chick grow.  YOu can keep an eye on
>the air pocket.  That will tell you a lot about if you temperature and
>>humidity is right.  you can tell about when they are to hatch and move
>
>Why do you look at the air pocket? What do you look for & what does it mean?

Maybe  I should explain how this works (watching the air cell) . It has to do with weight. .Eggs loose water from when first laid to hatch.  the water loss is caused by temp. and humidity. While incubating the rate of evaporation is controlled.  If the temp. is set then you have to make adjustments by adding water(humidity). The size of the air cell is a good guide to correct levels of humidity, but weighting the eggs is better.  An egg must lose at least 11% of its initial weight in order to hatch.  13% is usually ideal  some say 16%. The loss is not all at once but follows a curve slowly at first then fast at the end.
you can see this loss in the air cell by candling.  Frist it forms a little air cell and it grows as the egg loses weight.  and the chick developed.   you can tell the number of days of inubation by looking at the air cell.  Also you can tell the age of the chick by looking at the growth of th embryo by candeling.  after 2 days you see the blood spot about day 3 the yoke sac blood vessels developed by day 5 you see growth of embryo. By day 12  you see the increasing size of the air cell. Near the end from day 16 on, it is fully blacked out  with air cell really showing.  Its better to lower the hum. near the end to help the chick get out of the shell.
Article 6945 of misc.rural: