[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Free Range/Pastured Poultry/Poultry Manure (fwd)

To the Poultry News Network and the Sustainable Agriculture Network:

	I am currently  trying to finish up my master's degree here at
the University of Vermont.  I am looking for literature for my research
concerning poultry on
pasture (which thus far has been hard to come by--I made postings here
and to a few other discussion groups last winter with very little
reply-the National Ag Library only had limited info as well).  Below is a
synopsis of my research.  If you have any information that might be
vaguely  usefulfor my lit review, please let me know.  Also, if you
could suggest any other discussion groups that I might try, that would
also be greatly apprectiated.
Thank You
 Michael Ghia mghia@moose.uvm.edu
c/o Dr. Sid Bosworth
Plant and Soils's Department
Hills Building
UVM
Burlington, Vermont 05405

	In 1993, I raised 1125 meat chickens (broilers).  900 chickens
were raised "on range" in floorless moveable pens, sometimes refered to
as "chicken tractors".  They are moved on a regular basis and are usually
integrated within a "rotational-" or "rational- grazing"  skeme.  For
instance, (farmer)Joel Salatin in Virginia grazes his beef cattle ahead of
his
chicken pens ("co-grazing").  However, I did not have other livestock
(though would be interested in relevant literature). The range birds also
had access to grain. The other 225 chickens were raised in a
barn and only had access to grain for feed.   In addition, there were two
other treatments in 1993:  sod plots which were mowed everytime the
chicken pasture plots were grazed or mowed; silage corn raised without
fertilizer.
Both plots played a role in the 1994 phase, but the sod was also relevant
in 1993.
Data taken in 1993:
	-chicken growth rates and grain consumption comparing outdoor and
indoor birds
	-forage consumption estimates of range birds
	-dress slaughter weights of all birds
	-pasture and sod growth rate comparisons
	-fertility comparison over time comparing sod and pasture plots,
focusing on nitrate and ammonia, but all other nutrients were analyzed
(lab-wise- I do not know if I will ever get to do
the statistic on the rest of them)
	-nutrient movement in the soil profile (nitrate leaching)
	-I might trying to compare the economics between the outdoor and
the indoor raised birds, and also animal health (cull/loss rates) since
neither group had antibiotics in their feed. (antibiotics in the feed is
the standard practice).

	In 1994, all three treatments (corn, sod, pasture) were plowed
down and sweet corn was planted.  There were subplots applied to the
original treatments --a plus nitrogen (chemical fertilizer), and 0
nitrogen treatment.  Corn was harvested as marketable sweet corn.

Data taken in 1994:
	-soil nitrate and ammonia in the soil of each treatment and
subtreatment before, during and after the growing season.
	-nitrogen movement through the soil profile -leaching
	-compared corn yield and corn biomass between the treatments and
subtreatments.
	-Compared nitrogen uptake between the three treatments and the two
subtreatments as "Total Keldal (sp?) Nitrogen(TKN)".

That is it in a nutshell.  Thanks again for your help.
 Mike

Article 5132 of misc.rural: