From: andy.nachbaur@beenet.com (ANDY NACHBAUR)
Newsgroups: alt.agriculture.misc
Subject: Guinea fowl?
Date: Wed,  2 Mar 1994 02:28:00 GMT

 +-------------------------------+
###From: geoff@netcom.com (Geoffrey Leach)
###Newsgroups: alt.agriculture.misc
###Date: Tue, 1 Mar 1994 16:13:03 GMT
###
###I am looking for sources of information on guinea fowl.
###Care and feeding, sources, ...
###The local county extension researched the question and was unable
###to come up with anything.
 +-------------------------------+

   Hi Geoffrey,

     I have had experience with guinea and pea fowl in Monterey,
Merced, and Mariposia counties.

     First, check for any noise ordnances...they all make a lot of
racket that is quite unsettling to the neighbors, even out in the
country, whats left of it in California.

    As for feeding them when young they do well on most any game
bird or chicken chow, or you can look for some high price special
stuff for them. They are really adapt at fending for themselves and
we never discouraged them from doing just that. They need places they
can hide at night, like a big brush pile, or trees they can get into
to roost. If you let them they will be happy to set in a tree over the
roof of your home and scream bloody murder when you least expect it.
With pea fowl your neighbors 5 miles down the road may call 911 to
report you are murdering your wife.

    The guinea hens are not as bad as the pea fowl, they can defend
themselves and are quick, will do well on their own and reproduce.
Dog packs will work them over at times if they are roosting on the
ground. After the young hatch they are soon on their own, and may
require a little extra care when small if you expect 100% success.

    I think they are great if you have the space, I don't think
guinea's or peacocks are pen birds.

                        ttul Andy-

Article 608 of alt.agriculture.misc: