[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

PNW gardens/Wade Hooker

On 3 Jan 1995, Wade Hooker wrote:

> I am planning a trip to the Northwest of the US in June and would like to
> hear of the names of some public botanical/ornamental gardens in that area.
> I will be traveling through Washington from the Corvallis area on up to
> Vancouver, B.C. with side trips to the Olympic Peninsula and whatever else
> I can squeeze in.  Of particular interest are displays of perennial flwring
> plants (paeonies, poppies) and evergreens.  Any suggestions as to where to
> go would be appreciated.  Thanks.

there is a private garden and mail-order nursery in kingston washington
that should not be missed. in fact, in early june there is usually a
friday/saturday open to the public with plant sales and conscripts in the
garden to help identify the plants. please write to them to find out the
open days or to schedule a private appointment at some other time. they
grow a wide variety of perennial plants as well trees and shrubs, both
evergreen and deciduous. usda zone 8a as far as i know, and truly awe
inspiring. the mailing address is

heronswood nursery
7530 288th st ne
kingston, wa  98346

a catalog will run about $3, but it's full of plants to die for. they're
very cool folks, but as usual overwhelmed by people stopping in and
dropping in (which they are not zoned for and the neighbors complain
long and loud and stoop to retaliation), so don't do it without being
invited. this is truly a garden for the plantsperson.

-t