[Fwd: Codex Alimentarius - Threat to Health Freedom!!]

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
mailto:london@sunSITE.unc.edu

-- BEGIN included message

Please! Urgent! Action Due By This Thursday/Friday!

If you value your right to choose and use vitamins, herbs and other
nutritional supplements, check the International Advocates for Health
Freedom Page:
          http://www.pnc.com.au/~cafmr/hammell/index.html
And - read this:

Please help out by getting my form letter out to more people and
please email, fax, and phone this info in to Fisher, and your Senators and
Congressman. Lotsa folks are helping with this, and together we are going
to win, because we're on the side of the Creator of the herbs..... God!

Please forward my form letter to more people. The Commission was mandated
by Congress to do one thing, and one thing only: to develop a way by which
consumers could have more truthful health info re dietary supplements via
health claims on the label. The FDA destroyed the lives of over 7000 kids
who were born in the US during the 2 years that they dragged their feet
while deliberating whether or not to approve a claim that folic acid helps
prevent neural tube defects in pregnant women.

NTDs can cause kids to be born with crippling deformaties such as spina
bifida. The US Public Health Service approved the claim on folic acid in
the prevention of NTDs 2 years before FDA did. Supplement manufacturers
should have been allowed to say this on their labels. FDA is hardly a
repository of truth. What happened to our first amendment rights??? The
Commission utterly failed to discharge their duty under the law. Moreover,
they have gone beyond their statutory mandate, way beyond! They are
advocating creation of an OTC drug category for herbs. We CAN'T allow this!
It would constitute Codex harmonization! No Way! Please forward this note
and my form letter to more people, and urge them to ACT TODAY! The meeting
we are trying to influence is this thursday and friday!

PUBLIC TESTIMONY MUST BE ALLOWED TO BE HEARD AT FINAL MEETING OF COMMISSION
ON DIETARY SUPPLEMENT LABELS 8/14-8/15

Kenneth D. Fisher, Ph.D. Executive Director
Commission on Dietary Supplement Labels
Tel. 202-401-5811, Fax 202-205-0463, email cdsl@birchdavis.com

Dr. Fisher:

A caller to your office was told by Sandy Saunders that public testimony
would be disallowed by the Commission at its last meeting to be held at the
Hyatt Regency Reston, Reston Town Center, 1800 Presidents Street, Reston,
Virginia from 8:30 am- 4:30 August 14, and from 8:30- 3PM August 15th. I
feel that it would be a GROSS INJUSTICE to disallow public testimony in
this all important closing meeting, ESPECIALLY due to the ENORMOUS
CONTROVERSY that your draft report has already caused, and is CERTAIN to
continue to cause unless massively re-written so as to be in compliance
with the law, and to PROPERLY carry out the mandate given to you by Congress!

Of the 123 comments received by your Commission by 8/5, at least 82
(2/3rds) called for an extension on the comments period- wanting it to be
extended until the end of OCTOBER to give the public sufficient time to
procure your 77 page draft report, to read it, and to draft comments.
(Congress is not in session and lots of people are on vacation. This is a
SCAM!)

I am aware that Emord and Associates has stated in comments submitted to
your Commission that under 21 U.S.C. § 321 et.seq. 1994 (The Dietary
Supplement Health and Education Act), the Commission possesses no power or
authority other than defined by statute. I am aware that the Commission has
failed to discharge its duties. I am angered that the commission has made
no effort to evaluate FDA's prior restraint of truthful health claims from
reaching consumers via dietary supplement labels and labelling. I am aware
that the FDA has made no effort to define "significant scientific
agreement", and that your commission utterly fails to evaluate any
alternatives for providing truthful and non misleading health information
to consumers on labels and in labeling. I am aware that the Commission
exceeded its statutory authority by issuing recommendations regarding OTC
products. I demand that all ultra vires recommendations be removed from
your final report: recommendations concerning safety of dietary
supplements, the format of letters of notification for statements of
nutritional support, the maintenance of files substantiating those claims,
OTC regulations of botanicals, and funding and incentive for scientific
research. STICK to the task AT HAND. You have FAILED in your MANDATE!

Moreover, I demand that the Commission not assist the European-American
Phytomedicines Coalition to infiltrate the American market in herbal
products. I strongly suggest that the Commission not cater to the interests
of multinational trade associations such as EAPC, and I advise that the
Commission not issue a final report without VERY CAREFULLY reading the
comments submitted by Suzanne Harris, JD of the Law Loft on behalf of the
Life Extension Foundation, and National Health Federation which analyze the
extreme importance of not blurring the lines between food and drugs in
order to protect US business interests, as well as consumer rights
considering emerging international law!
Signed:

Address                          City:
State:          Zip

(Form Letter Provided by International Advocates for Health Freedom
800-333-2553
2411 Monroe St. Hollywood, Florida
http://www.pnc.com.au/~cafmr/hammell/index.html)
Donations Needed- Am One Person Working Alone
International Advocates for Health Freedom
John C. Hammell, Legislative Advocate
2411 Monroe St.#2 Hollywood, FL 33020 USA
800-333-2553, 954-929-2905, FAX 954-929-0507,
FAX ON DEMAND 954-927-8795,jham@concentric.net
http://www.pnc.com.au/~cafmr/hammell/index.html

-- END included message