Biomass Briquetter (fwd)

Tom Hodges (sustag@beta.tricity.wsu.edu)
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 15:36:19 -0800 (PST)

Please respond directly to Ken Barnes
Tom

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 11:00:25 +1100
From: Ken Barnes <kabarnes@STUDENTS.WISC.EDU>
To: DEVEL-L@AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Biomass Briquetter

Wanted: Used Piston Biomass Briquetter

I have just returned from Nicaragua where I had the pleasure of meeting the
president of a grassroots organization supporting disabled persons in work
and social integration.

One of their projects involves briquetting of process wastes from local
sawmills. The small screw press they have been leasing worked well with
crop waste but is having some problems the new material and can not handle
the volume necessary for the project to be economically viable.

After looking at the various options the group feels that a

MECHANICAL PISTON PRESS
capable of at least
0.25 TON per HOUR
of
PINE SAWDUST

would best fill their needs. (Although other options would be considered
depending on availability and price).

They are dealing with limited funds so used presses are preferred.

This group has been operating for over 10 years. They have many other
programs from agriculture and small business and come highly recommended as
a motivated and productive organization. The plans for the briquetting
project, as I heard them, where well thought out, based on experience and
detailed research.

This project has tremendous social and environmental implications in a
country with over 40% unemployment (over 60% with under-employment) and one
of the highest rates of deforestation in Central America.

If you have any information on a briquetter as described above please
contact me at the address below. Any other advice on this project would
also be welcome.

Thank you

Ken Barnes
kabarnes@students.wisc.edu