Satellite Conference Announcement (fwd)

Tom Hodges (sustag@beta.tricity.wsu.edu)
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 07:52:44 -0800 (PST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:01:00 -0600 (CST)
From: "Ricardo J. Salvador" <salvador@iastate.edu>
To: nciss@iastate.edu, SAED-SHARE-L@cornell.edu, sustag@beta.tricity.wsu.edu
Subject: Satellite Conference Announcement

STUDENT-CENTERED TEACHING METHODS FOR DISTANCE EDUCATION

Presented by the North Central Institute for Sustainable Systems
Originated from the campus of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln

DATE: Friday 4 April
TIME: 12:00 - 2:00 PM Central (test begins at 11:45 AM)
COORDINATES: Galaxy 3R, Transponder 21
MAILING LIST: nciss@iastate.edu
WWW: http://www.ag.iastate.edu/departments/agronomy/nciss/nciss1.html

NCISS is a regional initiative to provide practical experiential learning
opportunities in sustainable agricultural systems. Distance teaching
methods are necessary to bridge the geographical range of institutions
participating in NCISS. Because of our emphasis on teaching and learning
about sustainable living through active methods, we wish to review and
stimulate discussion about practicing such methods through the medium of
distance education.

Topics:

-Principles of student-centered education and active learning
-Examples of actual current efforts to practice student-centeredness at a
distance
-Interview with a master distance educator: Janet Johnson
-Interaction with faculty of NCISS currently developing their distance
materials
-Update on activities and course offerings of NCISS

All educators and persons interested in exploring and discussing effective
methods for sustainable agriculture and distance education methods are
welcome. We will particularly value your input and interaction via phone
bridge and fax. Be prepared to participate!

Ricardo J. Salvador E-mail: mailto:salvador@iastate.edu
1126 Agronomy Hall Voice: 515.294.9595
Iowa State University Fax: 515.294.8146
Ames IA 50011-1010 WWW: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~rjsalvad