Re: N Simulation (fwd)

Tom Hodges (sustag@beta.tricity.wsu.edu)
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 09:43:45 -0700 (PDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 09:41:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Hodges <thodges@tricity.wsu.edu>
To: "Tom Hodges (moderated newsgroup)" <sustag@BETA.TRICITY.WSU.EDU>
Cc: Stenger Roland <stenger@gsf.de>
Subject: Re: N Simulation (fwd)

Roland,
I work with potato -- water and nitrogen relations. This summer I
hope to collect data to validate the Simpotato model irrigation and
nitrogen scheduling functions. There will be field plots with
Russet-burbank potato at 3 levels of available nitrogen, 200, 325,
and 450 kg N/ha with a yield goal of about 90 MT/ha of fresh tubers
(20 MT/ha dry weight yield). I expect that the 325 kg N level will
be near optimal although it is 100-200 kg lower than most commercial
growers use. One can apply lower levels of N if there is little
or no excess water applied and hence little N lost by leaching.
There will also be several passive capillary boxes to measure
water and N drainage down below 1 meter depth.

We grow potato on coarse sand in a desert climate (20 mm rain, all
in the winter months) and latitude 45 degrees.

Information about Simpotato is available on my web page.

Tom
Tom Hodges, Cropping Systems Modeler
USDA-ARS email: thodges@tricity.wsu.edu
24106 N Bunn Road voice: 509-786-9207
Prosser, WA 99350 USA Fax: 509-786-9370, 509-786-9277
== HomePage http://www.tricity.wsu.edu/htmls/hodges ==
== ## Rent this space for your HomePage ## ==
If this represents anything, it is only my opinion.