SEQUESTRATE FUNGI ONCE MORE
From: Adolf Ceska <aceska@victoria.tc.ca>

I  apologize  to  Ian  Gibson  and Tony Trofymow for misspelling
their names in BEN # 177.

Although  "truffles"  were  mentioned  in  the  title  of  Bryce
Kendrick's  series,  the  article  dealt  entirely with basidio-
mycetes (subphylum Basidiomycotina). The true truffles, formerly
placed in the order Tuberales, belong to the  Ascomycetes  (sub-
phylum  Ascomycotina) and they certainly did not evolve from the
families mentioned in BEN # 178. Kendrick (1992, fig. 4.11, page
58) derives hypogeous truffles (genus Tuber) from  the  epigeous
cup fungi, e.g., Peziza, through the following line:

Peziza-like -> Genea-like -> Geopora-like -> Tuber

The  order Elaphomycetales ("deer truffles") with a single genus
Elaphomyces is another group of hypogeous  ascomycetes.  Elapho-
myces  lacks  hymenium, and has spherical non-shooting asci that
are produced randomly throughout the  interior  of  the  ascoma.
"Since it no longer offers much in the way of visual clues about
its  possible  epigeous ancestors, Elaphomyces may be the oldest
of the hypogeous ascomycetes" (Kendrick 1992, p. 59).

Kendrick, B. 1992. The Fifth Kingdom. 2nd Edition.
   Mycologue Publications, 8727 Lochside Dr., Sidney, BC,
   Canada V8L 1M8

A RULE OF THUMB FOR BOTANISTS: THE 1 IN 20 RULE
From: Dr. David H. Wagner <103132.2716@compuserve.com>
    originally published in the Oregon Flora On-Line Newsletter
    Volume 1 Number 3 - Oregon State University - July 1995

There have apparently been instances in  the  past  where  well-
meaning  botanists have destroyed plant populations through over
zealous collecting. The case most familiar to me concerns one of
the world's rarest  ferns,  the  pumice  grape-fern,  Botrychium
pumicola.  A  student  searching  for  new  sites  found two in-
dividuals of this species on Oregon's Tumalo  Mountain  in  1954
which  he  collected  to  make  herbarium specimens. In the late
1970s I searched the top of Tumalo  Mountain  with  friends.  We
were  experienced  fern  hunters,  but we found no Botrychium. I
strongly suspect that the two plants removed in 1954  eliminated
the  population  at  this  location.  Today  we  would hope that
botanists finding only one or two plants at a site  would  docu-
ment   their   discovery   with   photographs  and  notes.  Good
photographs and careful field notes are increasingly  acceptable
for recording plant discoveries.

Nevertheless,  from time to time, a field worker may encounter a
small population of a plant and feel it is necessary to  collect
a  bit  of it for positive identification and documentation. The
Native Plant Society of Oregon's Guidelines  and  Ethical  Codes
for  botanists  urges  that  a  collector use good judgement and
rules of thumb when deciding whether or not to collect.  But  in
this  case,  what  is  a  good rule of thumb? During the past 10
years, I have been using what I call the "1-in-20 Rule."

The 1-in-20 Rule dictates that a  botanist  never  collect  more
than one out of twenty plants. It means NOT collecting ONE plant
UNTIL  you  have found at least TWENTY. Only if twenty are found
should you consider collecting one plant. And  forty  should  be
present  before  two  are  taken, and so on. The rule applies to
parts of plants, also: remove no more than  five  percent  (one-
twentieth) of a shrub, one fern frond from a clump of twenty, 5%
of  a patch of moss, 5% of seeds from a plant. I use the 1-in-20
Rule whether I am collecting  voucher  specimens  for  the  her-
barium,  doing  rare plant work, or gathering common species for
classroom use.

The 1-in-20 Rule does not obviate the need for  good  judgement.
Only  when  a  botanist has the knowledge to assess whether col-
lecting is both ecologically  justified  and  legally  permitted
should a specimen be taken. Any pertinent factor relating to the
survival of a population needs to be superimposed on the 1-in-20
Rule. The main value of this rule of thumb is to provide a clear
point of reference from which to begin assessing a situation. It
helps  a botanist determine how much time should be spent inven-
torying before sampling is appropriate. I  suggest  the  1-in-20
Rule  as  a  minimal  criterion to be met before any taking of a
plant be considered.

There is at least a modicum  of  scientific  logic  behind  this
rule.  Statistically,  a  population  sample  of nineteen is not
significantly different from a sample of twenty. One  population
geneticist  I consulted advised me that contemporary statistical
theory would support the  1-in-20  Rule.  Another  pointed  out,
however,  that  repeated  collecting  would tend to reduce every
population to  nineteen  individuals.  This  caution  serves  to
emphasize  that  the  1-in-20  Rule  is  a  rule of thumb, not a
license to ravage.

An interesting line of argument in support of the  1-in-20  rule
has  developed  since I first published the idea in the Bulletin
of the Native Plant Society of Oregon in 1991. First, I received
a letter from James Grimes of  the  New  York  Botanical  Garden
querying  whether or not I had picked up the idea from a similar
article he and others had published in  the  newsletter  of  the
Idaho Native Plant Society a few years before. I honestly cannot
recall  seeing  their note. Then, last year, four botanists from
Australia and New Zealand published an article in  the  interna-
tional journal, Taxon, which made essentially the same recommen-
dation. Thus, three botanists or groups of botanists, deliberat-
ing  independently,  have arrived at the same standard. I submit
that  this  concurrence  from  three  separate  sources   speaks
strongly for the sensibility of the 1-in-20 Rule.

ETHNOBOTANY OF WAPATO (SAGITTARIA) IN BRITISH COLUMBIA
From: Terry Spurgeon <tspurgeo@sfu.ca>

I  am  an  archaeology  graduate  student  (MA)  at Simon Fraser
University (Burnaby, British  Columbia)  working  with  Dr.  Jon
Driver  as  my  supervisor.  Jon  and  I are working in the Pitt
Polder (lower Fraser River valley)  at  present  on  a  research
project  for  the Katzie First Nation on the "Prehistoric Use of
the Alouette River Drainage". Also, I have been working  in  the
Pitt  Polder  area  for more than a decade doing archaeology and
have worked closely with Katzie and continue to do so.  I  am  a
past president of the Archeological Society of British Columbia,
so I have been around a bit.

My  thesis  topic  is  going  to  address  "wapato"  (Sagittaria
latifolia) a subject which interests me and has the  support  of
the  Katzie  First  Nation  as well. There has been lots of talk
about wapato but upon critical review there is less than a solid
base of facts in the ethnographic work, none  locally  in  arch.
and plenty of apparent(?) confusion. Maybe I can cast some light
on  the  subject  from a different perspective as botanists have
done plenty on Sagittaria.

Several Katzie women and men are interested in my  pursuing  the
topic,  and  I  now have a preliminary idea of what I will do as
follows:

- ecology and nutrition of wapato (hunter-gatherer focus).
- ethnography of wapato - there is a lot of info for area but it
   is not well understood archaeologically, more data may  exist
   and some confusion apparent.
-  middle  range  research:  model  archaeological  signature of
   wapato, palaeobotany, cooking replication etc.
- test for wapato in pit-hearth/roasting ovens  at  DhRq  22  an
   archeological  site  I  have  excavated in Pitt Meadows, some
   other local sites if possible.
- modern relevance of study and wapato for Katzie etc.

I have done a lot of reading research  already  (all  the  usual
sources  &  some not so usual). Can always use more information.
Have also done some preliminary looking  in  Polder  for  wapato
(saw  some)  and  will  be  recording modern locations (GPS) and
tying in with other work. This info will be kept  in  confidence
except  for those researchers who request and the Katzie. I will
need wapato for replication, identification, SEM (seeds, pollen,
tissue etc.) and photography. Better info on distribution  would
be  a  good  start.  This  is  not good time of year for finding
Sagittaria as tides high, water high, no blooms etc. but this is
work for next summer. Nevertheless, I am spending a lot of  time
in the Polder looking and getting familiar with potential sites.
Meanwhile  there is much to do in research design work, compara-
tive collections, document research, archives etc.

Thank you for anything you might be able to do for me to  assist
with  information,  including pointing me in new research direc-
tions.

NEW BOOK: CULINARY HERBS

Small, E. 1997. Culinary herbs. NRC Research Press, Ottawa, Ont.
   Canada. 710 p. ISBN 0-660-16668-2 [hard cover] Price:  $79.95
   (CDN$ in Canada, US$ other countries).

   Ordering information: Monograph Orders, NRC  Research  Press,  M-55,
   National Research Council Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0R6
   Phone: 613-993-0151, Fax: 613-952-7656
   e-mail: research.journals@nrc.ca
   web: http://www.nrc.ca/cisti/journals/mgraphs.html

This book is a comprehensive guide to culinary  herbs  grown  in
Canada and northern United States. It provides information on 85
genera   and  125  species  of  culinary  herbs  including  many
references to less common herbs (e.g.,  wasabi,  culantro).  For
each species, the author lists the scientific name and synonyms,
English  names  and French names, description, taxonomy and his-
tory, cultivation notes, and "Additional notes." The subsections
deal with the chemistry of plants, recipe references,  medicinal
uses,  etc.  The  book  is richly illustrated with over 400 line
drawings. The author  used  many  excellent  drawings  from  old
botanical  publications,  and  four  botanical  artists provided
original illustrations that match the quality of the old botani-
cal illustrations. The book is well researched  with  more  than
1500  references  cited.  About  120  internationally recognized
experts reviewed the information. You can find  their  contribu-
tion  to the book in many references, in the text cited as "per-
sonal communication,"  that  bring  additional,  not  previously
published  facts.  For  Internet  addicts, the author provides a
list of major web sites that deal with herbs. This is an  excel-
lent book for botanists and laypeople alike.

A  short  chapter  of Culinary Herbs is available for viewing at
http://www.nrc.ca/cisti/journals/40393/herbs_e.html

ALERT: WOLLEMI PINE ARTICLE IN THE NEW SCIENTIST [RE: BEN 86]

The New Scientist (6 December 1997, No.2111) published an inter-
esting article on Wollemi Pine  (Wollemia  nobilis)  written  by
Wilson  da  Silva.  The  article  brings several new interesting
facts: 1) the individual plant populations, 2  groups  of  trees
known  so  far, show no genetic variation; 2) pollen of Wollemia
is very similar to the mysterious  fossilized  pollen  known  as
Dilwynites  which is relatively abundant in the fossil record of
Australia, New Zealand and Antarctica; 3) Wollemia can be easily
propagated from seeds and cuttings. The article has several very
interesting colour photographs of the plant and its habitat.

           HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND ALL THE BEST IN 1988 !