GRASSES OF THE TRIBE HORDEAE IN NORTH AMERICA: 3. COMMENTS
From: Mary Barkworth <stipoid@cc.usu.edu>

AEGILOPS  and TRITICUM: These will be treated as separate genera
   in the Manual of Grasses for the  Continental  United  States
   and  Canada (henceforth the Manual). They are morphologically
   and ecologically distinct but the cytological and  evolution-
   ary  arguments  for  treating  them as a single genus are ex-
   tremely strong.

AGROPYRON: One of the relatively few points of agreement in  the
   perennial  Hordeae  is that Agropyron should be restricted to
   the crested wheatgrasses. The problems left are a) what to do
   with the ex-Agropyrons and b) to  determine  which  taxa  are
   present  in  North America. The treatment I have used before,
   in which three "species" are recognized, is artificial.

DASYPYRUM: A well accepted annual genus that is known  in  North
   America  only  from a historical collection of Dasypyrum vil-
   losum that was made in Pennsylvania.

ELYMUS: This  I  interpret  as  including  Sitanion,  Roegneria,
   Elytrigia,  and  Hystrix as well as several species that used
   to be in Agropyron. SITANION is a North  American  taxon.  It
   is,  I  agree, morphologically distinctive, but it hybridizes
   readily with species of Elymus. This last does  not  preclude
   it being recognized as a genus, but I have not done so in the
   Manual  treatment.  ROEGNERIA  is  accepted  by Baum and most
   Chinese taxonomists, but it is  even  harder  to  distinguish
   from  the  bulk of Elymus than Thinopyrum. Baum et al. (1991)
   transferred some North American species to Roegneria but,  in
   my  opinion,  they  do not belong in that taxon, no matter at
   what level it is recognized. ELYTRIGIA: The type  species  of
   Elytrigia is E. repens. It looks, in overall habit, very like
   other  species  of  Elymus,  but was kept in a separate genus
   partly because of its strongly rhizomatous habit  and  partly
   because  it  hybridizes  with other species that I include in
   Thinopyrum but others included in  Elytrigia.  HYSTRIX:  This
   taxon  presents  a problem. There is reasonable evidence that
   its type  species  belongs  in  Elymus,  but  there  is  also
   evidence  suggesting that Hystrix californica is more closely
   related to Leymus than Elymus. For now, I include H. califor-
   nica in Elymus with which it  agrees  in  overall  habit  and
   habitat  preference. EX-AGROPYRONS: Some of the other species
   that have been  transferred  from  Agropyron  to  Elymus  are
   Agropyron  trachycaulus  (= Elymus  trachycaulus),  Agropyron
   boreale  (= Elymus  alaskanus),  and  Agropyron  dasystachyum
   (= Elymus lanceolatus).

EREMOPYRUM:  A  well-accepted annual genus of which one species,
   Eremopyrum triticeum, is fairly common in North  America.  It
   looks  like  an  annual  crested wheatgrass and grows in dis-
   turbed sites.

HORDEUM: This will be treated in its traditional sense.

LEYMUS:  This  genus  consists  of  several  alkaline   tolerant
   species.  Its  members fall into two morphologically distinct
   groups, one shoreline and primarily coastal, the other inland
   and non-shoreline. At one time, it was believed to consist of
   allopolyploids that combined the  genome  in  Psathyrostachys
   with that found in Thinopyrum. More careful checking revealed
   that  there  is  no  evidence  for presence of the Thinopyrum
   genome in Leymus.

PASCOPYRUM: A monotypic octoploid genus whose only  species,  P.
   smithii,  is an alloploid derivative of Elymus and Leymus. It
   is often misidentified, either as Elymus  lanceolatus  or  as
   Leymus triticoides.

PSATHYROSTACHYS:  A  Eurasian genus of approximately 22 species.
   It is generally accepted by Eurasian  taxonomists.  The  only
   species  in  North  America, P. juncea looks very like Leymus
   cinereus, differing chiefly in having tidier looking  spikes.
   Yes,  that  is  how  I  think of it. I am told that the other
   species are quite distinct from Leymus, but  the  two  genera
   share at least one genome.

PSEUDOROEGNERIA:  A  genus of approximately 20 species, only one
   of which occurs in North America, P. spicata. I am assured by
   those that know the other species in  their  natural  habitat
   that  the  genus is morphologically and ecologically distinct
   from Elymus. The native species differs from  Elymus  in  its
   skinnier culms and leaves.

SECALE:  An  exceptional  genus  in the Hordeae being a Linnaean
   genus about whose generic limits there is no argument. It has
   two species but only Secale cereale is  known  to  be  estab-
   lished in North America.

TAENIATHERUM: Like most annual genera (Aegilops and Triticum are
   notable  exceptions),  Taeniatherum has been widely accepted.
   Its only species,  Taeniatherum  caput-medusae,  used  to  be
   included in Elymus.

THINOPYRUM:  One  of the more controversial genera in the tribe.
   The representatives that  I  know  have  distinctive,  thick,
   inflexible  glumes  that are truncate, obtuse,or acute, trul-
   late spikelets, and florets that are slow  to  disarticulate.
   Two species are common in North America, T. ponticum (the old
   Agropyron  elongatum as interpreted by A.S. Hitchcock) and T.
   intermedium.

Postscript: The treatment of many North  American  species  also
needs  considerable  further  study.  The  fact  that one or two
accessions of a species form fertile hybrids on an  experimental
farm  does  not  guarantee that such hybrids form naturally, nor
that, if they do so, that they are capable  of  becoming  estab-
lished.  There is also a need to obtain experimental information
on how much phenotypic plasticity is present  in  a  population.
Such  plasticity, particularly in predominantly selfing species,
could lead to the formation of morphologically distinct entities
of little taxonomic significance.

MISSOURI BOTANISTS HAVE DOUBTS ABOUT REGISTRATION OF PLANT NAMES
Abbreviated from a posting on TAXACOM discussion list.

Formal registration of plant names is a new concept  which  will
be  voted  on  at  the Nomenclature Session of the next Interna-
tional Botanical Congress, St. Louis, 1999. [See BEN # 185, Feb.
28, 1998]

Botanists in the Research Division  of  the  Missouri  Botanical
Garden  have  carefully  studied the arguments and mechanism for
registration,  as  published  and  demonstrated  to  date   (see
http://www.bgbm.fu-berlin.de/iapt/registration/default.htm).
They  are  almost  unanimous  in opposing it for two fundamental
reasons:

 1. The botanical community would for the first time  depend  on
    the  authority  of  a single organization (the International
    Association of Plant Taxonomist - IAPT) for the valid publi-
    cation of names, in contrast  to  the  present  practice  of
    independent  and unencumbered publication in a book or jour-
    nal.

 2. Registration would not usefully and significantly add to the
    nomenclatural  information  already  available;  instead  it
    would duplicate or replace effective systems.

In  addition, the Missouri botanists see serious problems in the
mechanism for registration that seem not to have been addressed.
They urge all IAPT members and institutes to study the  informa-
tion  presented,  and then weigh the pros and cons before voting
on registration at the St. Louis Congress.

The full text of this discussion paper is available at:
http://www.mobot.org/MOBOT/research/registr.html

In the discussion triggered by this position paper,  Dr.  Joseph
Laferriere <josephl@aztec.asu.edu> asked:

"Under the registration proposal as  currently  envisioned,  how
can  a  reader  tell from looking at a newly published name in a
journal whether or not it has been registered? Under the current
system, I can tell within 30 seconds whether or not a  new  name
has  been  validly published." "Under the registration proposal,
as I understand it, I now have to ask whether the  editors  ful-
filled the registration requirements."

NORTH AMERICAN FESCUES (FESTUCA, POACEAE) ON CD-ROM
From: Adolf Ceska <aceska@victoria.tc.ca>

Aiken, S.G., M.J. Dallwitz, C.L. McJannet, & L.L. Consaul. 1997.
   Fescue  grasses  of North America. Canadian Museum of Nature,
   Ottawa. CD-ROM (runs under MS-WINDOWS 3.1, 95, or NT).

   Available from: Publications Department, Canadian  Museum  of
   Nature,  P.O.Box 3443, Station D, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1P
   6P4 Phone (613) 566-4292, 1-800-263-4433 (Canada  &  U.S.A.);
   FAX (613) 566-4763; e-mail: rmartin@mus-nature.ca

   Please inquire about the price; I heard it's minimal, just to
   cover handling and shipping ( < CDN$10.00).

This  CD-ROM  contains  a  taxonomic monograph of 46 species and
subspecific taxa of North American fescues. The  species  treat-
ment gives details on the type specimen, synonymy, morphological
description,  habitat,  distribution,  chromosome  numbers,  and
miscellaneous comments. There are more than  200  images  linked
with the descriptions.

The  information  is  based on 16 years of research on the genus
Festuca and is maintained at the Canadian Museum of Nature in  a
DELTA  data base. The interactive identification and information
retrieval package, which is an integral part of the DELTA system
provides an easy access to the information and offers a powerful
method of interactive identification (INTKEY).

This is a truly remarkable work. I would like to thank

 1. Dr. Susan Aiken and her  colleagues  for  their  taxonomical
    work,
 2. Dr.  Dallwitz  and  the  DELTA team for releasing the INTKEY
    program for the use with with this package, and
 3. the Canadian Museum of Nature for producing this CD-ROM.

If you don't have the CD-ROM drive, visit this web site:
http://biodiversity.uno.edu/delta/festuca/index.htm
That site contains almost the same information that  is  on  the
CD-ROM.  For  more  information  on  the  Festuca DELTA set see:
Aiken, S. et al. 1997. Canadian Journal of Botany 75: 1527-1555.

What about other CD-ROM sets?  The  Canadian  Museum  of  Nature
produced a set on the saxifrages of the Canadian Arctic - I have
not  seen that one. I know, however, that Dr. George Argus has a
sophisticated DELTA set of North American willows. Would  it  be
possible  to  produce  a  similar  CD-ROM with  his treatment of
North American willows?