BEN # 208 - Dr. W.A. Weber Festschrift - Part II

BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N             ISSN 1188-603X
BB   B   EE       NNN  N
BBBBB    EEEEE    NN N N             BOTANICAL
BB   B   EE       NN  NN             ELECTRONIC
BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N             NEWS

No. 208                              November 19, 1998

aceska@victoria.tc.ca                Victoria, B.C.
 Dr. A. Ceska, P.O.Box 8546, Victoria, B.C. Canada V8W 3S2

            BEN # 207, 208, and 209 are dedicated to
                  the doyen of Colorado botany

                DR. WILLIAM ALFRED (BILL) WEBER

    on the occasion of his 80th birthday, November 16, 1998.

ART KRUCKEBERG DOES A TURKEY TROT
From: Arthur Kruckeberg <ark@u.washington.edu>

Our  month  in  Turkey  this  past summer, courtesy the National
Science Foundation focussed  on  the  many  serpentine  outcrops
there. We were especially keen on finding serpentine plants that
accumulate  high  levels  of  nickel  (tissue with >1000 ppm Ni,
called hyperaccumulators). Serpentine exposures near Ankara  and
in the lofty Taurus Mountains to the south of Ankara are rich in
narrow  endemics;  most species of Alyssum (Brassicaceae) proved
to be hyperaccumulators, via our simple field  test  for  nickel
[see  BEN  #  143].  Our field party, Dr. Roger Reeves of Massey
University, New Zealand, three Turkish botanists, and  ARK,  did
find  time to enjoy Turkish beer, their ever-present watermelons
and Turkish tea and coffee. We took time off from plant  hunting
to  visit  the  amazing  tuff  formations  in Cappadocia and the
ancient  subterranean  "cities"  dug  into  the  volcanic  tuff.
Turkish  flora,  geology, landscapes and the friendly people all
were delightful.

Bill Weber, my friend, you would have revelled in the geobotani-
cal richness of Turkey, especially the subalpine/alpine flora of
the Taurus Mountains...the Rockies of Turkey.  I'll  bet  Turkey
has even more locoweeds than Colorado!

SOME NOTES ON PAPAVER
From: David F. Murray <ffdfm@uaf.edu>

I  have  just returned from Oslo where I spent five weeks at the
Center for Advanced Study of the  Norwegian  Academy.  Norwegian
colleagues  Inger  Nordal  and Reidar Elven, University of Oslo,
had agreed to take on leadership of the Panarctic Flora Project,
and they obtained funds to  support  a  Panarctic  Year  at  the
Center.  The  year was kicked off in late September with a small
symposium to discuss the species concept.  Since  our  proximate
goal is to complete a checklist of arctic vascular plants, it is
imperative  we  reconcile  the different taxonomic traditions of
participating countries and create a panarctic synthesis.

After the symposium and throughout the rest of the year, working
groups will be assembled in Oslo to work intensively on  certain
genera.  Papaver  is  one  of  those. Following the symposium we
looked at the scapose taxa of what most people  still  call  the
Scapiflorae  (section  Meconella).  To  accomplish the panarctic
view, we looked together at specimens, including types, with key
references close at  hand.  Important  questions  were:  are  we
recognizing  the  same taxa; are we applying the same names, and
if not why not?

The "we" of the poppy working group consisted of the  following.
Inger  Nordal  and  Reidar Elven, and Heidi Solstad who had just
completed an M.Sc. with them, brought to  the  table  a  lot  of
experience  and  recent research on breeding systems and isozyme
variation for the North Atlantic region.  Vladik  Petrovsky  had
worked  with  I.  A.  Tolmachev  on  the treatment of poppies in
Arctic Flora USSR and had himself named  new  taxa  from  north-
eastern  Asia.  Moreover, with his wife, Paulina Zhukova, he had
reported chromosome numbers,  important  reference  points,  for
many of those taxa. Orjan Nilsson, who has completed a treatment
of  poppies  for  Flora  Nordica,  provided another Scandinavian
perspective. I was there to represent  the  North  American  ex-
perience gained during my struggle to produce the FNA treatment.
What I am reporting here draws from our discussions.

To  be certain we were all on the same page, as the saying goes,
we first developed a character list, which  was  an  interesting
exercise.  After some testing and refinements, this will be come
the basis for a morphological  reassessment  of  taxa  with  our
individual biases removed.

In my contribution to the treatment of Papaver with Bob Kiger in
Flora  of  North  America,  some  points  were  clearly left un-
resolved. One was the question of what to call the plant of  the
high  arctic  latitudes  that  I  had  named P. radicatum subsp.
polare. The similarity of our plants, and those of  arctic  Rus-
sia,  to  the Svalbard P. dahlianum is clear. What was ambiguous
was the relationship between the plants on Svalbard and the type
specimen for name P. dahlianum from  Finmark,  northern  Norway.
Due  to  my very limited experience with the Norwegian plants, I
was unsure the Finmark and Svalbard plants were really the  same
taxon.  Now, it is clear from what I saw in Oslo they are indeed
the same and P. dahlianum is the name we  should  apply  to  our
plants.  Having answered that question, another was raised. Does
P. gorodkovii belong with P. dahlianum as well?

There is still the question of what is P. radicatum? The techni-
cal problems of typification will be "solved" by others shortly.
The view  from  the  North  Atlantic  has  been  rather  narrow,
reflecting  the  legacy  of  Gunvor Knaben, who applied the name
only  to  plants  of  Iceland,  Norway,  and  Svalbard  with   a
chromosome  number  of 2n=70. All plants having 2n=56 she called
P. lapponicum. Yet, it  has  been  clear  to  us  in  the  North
American  that  all our taxa simply cannot not be lumped in that
species. There is P. lapponicum and  another  complex  of  forms
that  I  placed  in  P. radicatum. It is obvious that species of
Papaver cannot be defined by one chromosome number; indeed  even
two  or three ploidy levels are reported for some morphological-
geographical entities. So, either we expand our  concept  of  P.
radicatum to include the 2n=42 and 56 chromosome taxa or we have
to find another name for our material.

Knaben's  work at the Botanical Garden in Oslo demonstrated that
species of poppy could be crossed, despite  big  differences  in
ploidy  level,  and  we must conclude that hybridization plays a
role in creating the myriad forms one sees in a large series  of
specimens. On the other hand, Inger Nordal and her students have
now  shown  that  poppies  are not only self-compatible but also
have flowers structured in such ways as to make them essentially
autogamous, at least early in the  season,  before  the  flowers
open.  She  has, therefore, supplied an explanation for the pat-
tern of variability we  see--more  variation  among  populations
than  within  them. Occasional hybridization produces new, local
variation , and these variants are maintained by selfing. There-
fore our species concept  and  circumscriptions  must  take  the
breeding system into account.

We  are  establishing  a  living  collection  of  poppies at the
University of Oslo. Reidar Elven will be  participating  in  the
Swedish  arctic  expedition --Tundra Northwest 1999--this summer
and will collect material from the Canadian Arctic to supplement
what they already have from Svalbard and Finmark and what I have
sent from Alaska.

BRACHYTHECIUM CALCAREUM KINDB. IN THE INTERIOR PACIFIC NORTHWEST
From: Toby Spribille <Spribille_Toby/r1_kootenai@fs.fed.us>

In the past several years I have been collecting  and  comparing
Brachythecium  samples  wherever  I go in the hopes of gaining a
picture of this difficult genus. Of all of the mosses, the genus
Brachythecium may be the most commonly encountered in the  inte-
rior.  In  almost  every forest stand, every streambed and seep,
every  roadside  and  every  alpine   meadow,   one   encounters
Brachythecium,  and  oftentimes  two  or three species. In doing
forest vegetation plots, I am constantly faced with the question
of what species I have, and in some cases I find six species  in
a single 100 m square plot. Nonetheless, the experience has been
enlightening,  and morphological and autecological patterns have
become quite clear.

One of the more significant discoveries in  the  course  of  the
Brachythecium  study  centres around a julaceous, straw-coloured
species which grows in ditches along country roads and highways,
on disturbed soil in forests, and in old cutblocks.  Its  occur-
rence  is almost predictable in these habitats and once known is
easy to recognize. My early attempts at keying the moss  put  it
in  Brachythecium  salebrosum, though when sterile, it seemed to
key to B. albicans, and this is the name that the material seems
to carry in herbaria. Two summers ago a German  phytosociologist
I  was  working  with,  Hans-Georg Stroh, pointed out to me that
this moss, which I had come to call B. albicans, did not at  all
look  like  B. albicans as he knew it in Europe. This sparked my
interest, and I compared the moss closely with  descriptions  of
B.  albicans  in European floras. It became difficult to fit our
plants into the concept  of  B.  albicans.  In  particular,  our
material   is  autoicous,  and  fruits  often,  B.  albicans  is
dioicous, and fruits rarely. Our material has  weakly  decurrent
leaf  margins,  B. albicans has strongly decurrent leaf margins.
In these and other finer points, our plants were something quite
different than B. albicans, and this was reinforced when I found
material in dry forests which actually fit the description of B.
albicans very nicely.

Perusal of Robinson's (1962) key to North American Brachythecium
placed the material very tidily in  Brachythecium  calcareum,  a
species  described  by  in  1895  by  Kindberg from Ontario, and
subsequently reported  from  Newfoundland  and  Alaska  (Crum  &
Anderson  1981)  and Colorado (Weber & Wittmann 1992). Unsure, I
sent a piece to Robinson, who confirmed  my  suspicion.  New  to
Montana  and  the  Pacific Northwest, I was subsequently able to
find the species in its predictable roadside habitat  in  Idaho,
Washington  and  British  Columbia.  It  has become evident that
Brachythecium calcareum  is  one  of  the  most  common  ruderal
species of the genus in the interior Pacific Northwest, and may,
in fact, have its primary distribution here.

Selected  specimens  (collection numbers are those of the author
and are housed in the Forest Service Fortine District  Herbarium
in   Fortine,  Montana,  unless  otherwise  indicated):  CANADA,
BRITISH COLUMBIA. Southern interior, Creston Valley, West  Cres-
ton  Road, 7714; U.S.A., IDAHO. Bonner Co., Priest River region,
Hager Lake, 6668; MONTANA. Flathead Co., Columbia  Falls,  North
Fork  Road,  1608  (US,  !Robinson); Lake Co., Swan Valley, near
Point Pleasant Campground, 6625; Lincoln Co., Murphy Lake, 6583;
Sanders Co., Vermilion River at Bear Creek, 7516-A;  WASHINGTON.
Pend Oreille Co., Frater Lake, 7680 (WTU).