PROMINENT BOTANIST COURT-MARTIALED
From: Adolf Ceska <aceska@victoria.tc.ca>

Dr.  Archibald  Menzies  was the first civil servant botanist in
the Pacific Northwest. He joined the Royal Navy long  before  he
got  the  position  of naturalist and stand-in surgeon with with
George Vancouver's voyage  to the  northwest  coast  of  America
(1791-1795).  The objective of Captain Vancouver's voyage was to
explore the Pacific Northwest and lay claim to the land for  the
British Crown. Menzies had collected plants along the West Coast
of  North  America  and  at  almost  all  the other places where
Vancouver's ships landed (Groves, 1998). Dr. Menzies' case  well
illustrates the difficulties that botanists have to face if they
are employed as civil servants.

It was Sir Joseph Banks, who gave very specific instructions and
directions  to  Dr.  Menzies. Banks knew that Menzies task would
not be easy, since he himself had known Captain  Vancouver  from
the  first  Captain  Cook's  voyage. He warned Menzies (Anderson
1960, p. 46): "How Captain Vancouver will behave to you is  more
than  I  can guess, unless I was to judge by his conduct towards
me - which was such as I am not used to receive from one in  his
station.  As  it  would  be highly imprudent in him to throw any
obstacles in the way of your duty, I trust he will have too much
good sense to obstruct it."

Menzies encountered trouble with meal arrangements  even  before
the  expedition  started  (Goodwin  1930, p. 201-202). The final
straw in the Vancouver - Menzies relationship was  the  incident
that  happened  on  the  last  leg  of  their  return journey to
England. According to Anderson (1960, p. 210), "Vancouver placed
one of Menzies' servants on regular watches  working  the  ship.
During a downpour some of the Menzies' plant frames on deck were
left  uncovered  and  many  of  the plants he was taking back to
England were damaged or destroyed. Menzies wanted  Vancouver  to
punish  the  man,  whose  normal  duty  it was to look after the
frames, but, when the captain found that he was carrying out the
orders of the officer of the watch at  that  time,  he  took  no
action.  Menzies  complained,  apparently rather vigorously, and
Vancouver placed him under arrest for insolence and contempt,  a
charge that Menzies later denied."

Vancouver wrote a letter to Evan Nepean of the Admiralty demand-
ing a Court-Martial for Dr. Menzies (Godwin 1930, p. 142):

"Sir, - I am to request you will do me the honor of representing
to my Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty that I am excessively
sorry  at  being  driven  to  the necessity of soliciting that a
Court-Martial may be held on Mr. Archibald Menzies,  Surgeon  of
His  Majesty's sloop Discovery under my command, and officiating
also in the capacity of Botanist,  for  what  I  consider  as  a
breach  of part of the 19th and 22nd articles of war, at sea, on
the 28th of July 1795; having, on that day, behaved to me on the
quarter-deck, with great contempt and disrespect, in consequence
of my having refused to punish, at his request, a person who had
throughout the voyage been considered as his  servant.  The  In-
solent  and  unbecoming behavior of Mr. Menzies on that occasion
towards me, and his positive refusal to retract  the  harsh  and
improper  expressions  he made use of, compels me to prefer this
charge, and to repeat my request that their  Lordships  will  be
pleased, in consequence thereof, to order a Court-Martial."

A month later, Vancouver withdrew his charges after receiving an
apology from Menzies, and the order was cancelled.

Anderson,  B. 1960. Surveyor of the sea: the life and voyages of
   Captain George Vancouver.  University  of  Washington  Press,
   Seattle. 274 p.
Godwin,  G.  1930.  Vancouver,  a life, 1757-1798. Philip Allan,
   London. 308 p.
Groves, E.W. 1998. Archibald Menzies: an early  plant  collector
   on the Pacific north and west coast of North America.
   Menziesia 3(1): 14-15.

HOW TOXIC IS THE UPAS TREE - ANTIARIS TOXICARIA (MORACEAE) ?
From: Pp. 50-51 in:  Lord  Frederick  Spencer  Hamilton.  c1921.
   Here, there and everywhere. George H. Doran, NY. xii+332 p.

Peradeniya Botanical Gardens [in Colombo, Sri Lanka] rank as the
second  finest  in  the  world, being only surpassed by those at
Buitenzorg in Java. I had the advantage  of  being  shown  their
beauties by the curator himself, a most learned man, and what is
by  no  means  a  synonymous  term,  a very interesting one too.
Holding the position he did, it is hardly necessary to insist on
his nationality; his accent was still as marked  as  if  he  had
only  left  his  native  Aberdeen  a week before. He showed me a
tall, graceful tree growing close to the entrance, with  smooth,
whitish  bark, and a family resemblance to a beech. This was the
famous ill-famed upas tree of  Java,  the  subject  of  so  many
ridiculous  legends. The curator told me that the upas (Antiaris
toxicaria) was unquestionably  intensely  poisonous,  juice  and
bark  alike. A scratch made on the finger by the bark might have
very serious results, and the emanations from a newly lopped-off
branch would be strong enough to bring out a rash; equally,  any
one foolish enough to drink the sap would almost certainly die.

The  stories  of the tree giving out deadly fumes had no founda-
tion, for the curator had himself sat for three hours under  the
tree  without  experiencing  any  bad  effects whatever. All the
legends of the upas tree are based on an account of it by a  Dr.
Foersch  in 1783. This mendacious medico declared that no living
thing  could  exist  within  fifteen  miles  of  the  tree.  The
Peradeniya  curator pointed out that Java was a volcanic island,
and one valley where the upas flourishes is certainly  fatal  to
all  animal  life  owing  to the emanations of carbonic acid gas
escaping from fissures in the soil. It was impossible to look at
this handsome tree without some respect for its powers of  evil,
though  I  doubt  if  it  be more poisonous than the West Indian
manchineel. This latter  insignificant  tree  is  so  virulently
toxic  that  rain-drops  from its leaves will raise a blister on
the skin.

HELLEBORE USED AS THE FIRST RECORDED CHEMICAL WEAPON

The first recorded case of chemical war came from about 600 B.C.
It happened in Greece, in the war which Amphictyons led  against
Cirrhaeans. Here is what Pausanias wrote about this event in his
"Description of Greece:"

"To  Cirrha,  the port of Delphi, is a distance by road of sixty
furlongs from Delphi. .. The plain all the way  from  Cirrha  is
bare,  and  the  people  will  not plant trees, either because a
curse rests on the land, or because they know that the  soil  is
not  adapted  to  grow  trees.  ...  The people of Cirrha sinned
against Apollo, and in particular they appropriated some of  the
god's  land.  So  the  Amphictyons  resolved  to make war on the
Cirrhaeans, and they appointed Clisthenes, tyrant of Sicyon,  to
the  command,  and  fetched  Solon  from Athens to give them his
advice. When they inquired how the victory would go, the Pythian
priestess gave them this answer:

   Ye shall not take and cast down the towers of this city,
   Till on my precinct blue-eyed Amphitrite's
   Wave, plashing o'er the darkling deep, shall break.

Hence Solon persuaded them to consecrate the territory of Cirrha
to the god, in order that Apollo's precinct might be bounded  by
the  sea.  He  devised  yet  another  stratagem against the Cir-
rhaeans. The water of the Plistus flowed  into  the  city  in  a
canal,  and  he  diverted the water into another channel. But as
the besieged still held out, subsisting on water from wells  and
on  rainwater, he flung roots of hellebore into the Plistus, and
when he saw that the water was  sufficiently  charged  with  the
drug  he  turned it back into the canal. The Cirrhaeans drank so
freely of the water that the sentinels on the walls were forced,
by incessant diarrhea, to quit their posts. When the Amphictyons
took the city they punished the Cirrhaeans on behalf of the god,
and Cirrha is still the port of Delphi."

Reference:

Pausanias's Description of Greece, translated with a  commentary
   by J.G. Frazer. Biblio & Tannen, New York. 1965. Vol. 1: 557-
   558. Bk.X, Ch. xxxvii.

Y2K BUG WILL BE TESTED IN NEWFOUNDLAND FIRST

The  Canadian  government  has  decided  to  test the Y2K bug in
Newfoundland. Although almost everything is usually half an hour
later in Newfoundland, the year 2000 will arrive there  half  an
hour sooner than to their closest neighbours. The other Canadian
provinces will get enough warning and will be able to learn from
the  Newfoundland  experience  how  to  save themselves. British
Columbia and Yukon will have plenty of time to find out  how  to
cope  with  the  Y2K bug. In a leaked provincial goverment memo,
however, all computer programmers are being asked to stay  sober
on the New Year's Eve. Just in case.

BEN  is  Y2K  clean, but to be on a sure side, print out several
last issues of BEN and  buy  few  candles.  Candles  blessed  on
Candlemas Day will protect you from  the Y2K bug better than the
ordinary ones.

MELISSA - APOLOGIES

Sorry,  BEN  is  unable  to distribute MELISSA virus. We operate
strictly in the old,  windowless  MS-DOS,  and  we  cannot  read
attachments. The computer on which BEN is produced still has its
original  1981  IBM screen (green letters on a dark background).
We have to apologize for not being able to send you the list  of
interesting web pages that MELISSA distributes as an attachment.

640K OUGHT TO BE ENOUGH FOR ANYBODY -- Bill Gates, 1981