[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New associations/ yacon

Hi,

The Australian City farms, Community Gardens and Enterprise Centres
Network has been formed and has published an inventory of centres in
Australia.

The inventory will be updated regularly.

The network will maintain communication with members so we can share
information and learn from each other and will supply advice and
assistance to new community supported agriculture initiatives.

The inventory sells for AUD$20, posted within Australia and AUD$25
posted offshore.

In other developments, the Australian Rainforest Bushfood Association
was recently formed to promote the interests of the emerging bushfood
growing and processing industry.

The industry is embryonic ‹ markets are as yet small but growth into a
viable niche market is anticipated. Specialty restaurants and hotels
are the main buyers at present.

There is an emerging awareness among both the public and farmers of
the potential for Australian bushfoods as a commercial proposition.
There is also a number of new extracted oils which would be of value
as well ‹ such as the strongly lemon oil of Backhousia citriodora.

The best known Australian bushfoods are the medicinal tea tree oil
(Malaleuca alternifolia) and the Macadamia (Macadamia spp) nut, which
the north Americans sped off to Hawaii earlier in the century and
developed as a commercial food product but which is now plantation
grown in the Australian east coast subtropics.

Anybody coming to this part of the world in late September ‹ early
October might want to visit Western Australia for the Sixth
International Permaculture Convergence. Speakers include George Chan
(George Chan the biogas man) who has done much to develop energy/ food
systems in developing tropical countries and Vendana Shiva, the noted
Indian social activist. The best part of the convergence are the
workshops and the contacts you make.

Finally, does anyone have any information on a plant, an edible tuber
and member of the sunflower family which goes by the common names of
yacon or Peruvian ground apple?

It's of South American origin.

I was given some to grow. Well, its grown and has now died back and,
presumably, is ready to harvest. I wonder if there is any information
about its traditional uses, any recipies ‹ traditional or otherwise ‹
and any precautions to be taken with the plant.

There's another plant I've grown as an experiment ‹ the so-called
Peruvian artichoke (whixch is not an artichoke). That's doing quite
well in warm temperate Sydney in nutrient-poor, sandy soil, heavily
mulched and growing in close association with taro.

Any information gratefully received.

Regards...

...Russ Grayson

--
PERMACULTURE EXTENSION SERVICES
Russ Grayson and Fiona Campbell

Phone	02-9588 6931	(IDD-61+2+9588 6931)
Fax 	02 330 2611 (Mark fax: ATTN: RUSS GRAYSON - APACE)
	(IDD-61+2+330 2611)
Email: permaext@magna.com.au

Permaculture education, publishing, design.
NSW co-ordinator, Australian City Farms, Community Gardens and
Enterprise Centres Network.