[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Privacy, Peace and Permaculture Promotion

One thing I have
had to learn is how to create a boundary and communicate it. At first, I
figured that people would stop coming by since I was so rude:-)  Not the
case..Usually, I find simply saying that I am involved in weeding, beading,
seeding, whatever it is allows for the visitor to stay if they choose while
I continue what I am doing! Sometimes they may even lend a hand!
REcently I has looping a thick branch with a bow saw and two guys who live up
the road and know me through a friend of a friend starting talking about the
cut, the speed of my saw etc, then they decided to help and discovered I had been
much faster even though I am small!
So they left after me politely fighting them and the tree.

 The gardens you have to show, obvious to most, would not be what they are
if you were not working with them ALOT!  So, keep on with whatever task you
are doing..possibly modifying your scheduling so that it allows for talking
while doing..saving efforts that require more focus and silence for when
they leave!  Your choosing to stay to the task at hand is a statement in
itself and if the people want more time to tour, etc, perhaps setting an
appointment to do that would work better for you.  In fact, possibly set a
few folks coming at the some time.  Not exactly an OPEN day, but a privately
arranged appointment.  This could be alot of fun and set the stage for your
own variety of disseminating information...AND in your own time.
Yes I like that idea and will try it.  I shall gather names and call them back when
I have time to get them together.
Actually, I am still working with tempering this one..it's never an easy
situation..always calls for a certain kind of diplomacy.  When I would be
frustrated and feeling "put upon" I wasn't exactly the best of company..now
I can be kind to them while I take care of myself. I suspect this is one we
all need to master as mainstream is becoming very intrigued by what we are
doing.  Good luck!

Vicki