Subject: Re: Masanuba Fukouka's Natural Farming??
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 11:21:12 GMT
From: bk720@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Carl Steen)
To: sustag-public@amani.ces.ncsu.edu

Exactly, as the last poster points out, Fukuoka does not
want farmers from dawn to dusk, slaving away, quite the
opposite.
In fact, Fukuoka
and his system is similar to Permaculture.

I find permaculture to be fascinating, the designs and
ideas are some of the most original in any farming book.
The =spirit= is the most important: take nothing for granted
(especially not chemical farming!) and turn your plot of
land into a work of both art and nature.

On the more immediate side, I do have questions about the
time involved in =establishing= the self perpetuating farming
system, usually years.
The most practical farmers, out of necessity in history,
are described in Farmers of Forty Centuries, asian farmers
working often less than half an acre and feeding several
families year round, no chemicals, pigs and chickens and
carp ponds combined with
vegetable rotations that would (or should) impress NASA
space station designers.