[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: FW: my view of the conference

April Sampson-Kelly wrote:

> FIRST AND FOREMOST - we realised from the last day at the converegence
> that we must ALL promote the permaculture internet news groups more.
> In fact we should list them on our home page each one of us, I will
> ask the mailing list for help on this.

That would be a great thing to do. List all the PC mailing lists and
organic agriculture newsgroups on our homepages.

I think that now is the time to start a permaculture _newsgroup_; not
just another Internet mailing list. I wonder, what with all the
spamming, whether doing one in the Usenet mainstream heirarchy is
a good idea, something like alt.agriculture.permaculture or maybe
alt.permaculture. To avoid the spammers I hope _soon_ to be
able to offer a PC newsgroup out of the mainstream via a publically
accessable nntp newsserver. You will be able to add our server to your
news reader (i.e. Netscape, Internet Explorer, Free Agent) and pull down
the full or partial news spool at any time. We will not expire articles
so that we will have a permanent archive to refer to as needed.
You can also plug our new PC newsgroup into a URL on your homepage; it
will look something like this:
name>.permaculture]>Permaculture Newsgroup</a>

or something like that - I'll have to figure
out the proper command syntax for the tag.

I will also bidirectionally gate the permaculture-mg mailing list into
this newsgroup - this way folks can post & read the way they prefer
and we will have an archive to access to read all past articles.

I would like to make this combo Permaculture newsgroup/mailing list
resource our main global Permaculture discussion forum. If necessary I
could gate (unidirectionally) any/all other Permaculture mailing lists
into our newsgroup. Those wishing to can also forward relevant articles
from other lists or newsgroups into our newsgroup (or into
permaculture-mg).

Do you and others think this resource will fill the present and future
needs of the global Permaculture community for networking on the Web &
Internet? What might Bill Mollison have to say about this?

Let me hear any comments or suggestions that come to mind, including a
name for the newsgroup.

Lawrence
- dweller among a few hundred bees who survived the summer
and are feverishly making preparations for winter -

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr. - Venaura Farm - Chapel Hill, NC, USA
mailto:london@sunSITE.unc.edu  http://sunSITE.unc.edu/InterGarden