[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Time to "go around the room" - Sign in - (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 12:31:17 WST
From: Victor Guest <vic@daena.eepo.com.au>
To: Permaculture WA <perma@eepo.com.au>
Subject: Time to "go around the room" - Sign in - (fwd)

> From:       The Center for Holistic Resource Management <chrm@igc.apc.org>
> Subject:    Time to "go around the room"  - Sign in -
> To:           Recipients of chrm-educators <chrm-educators@igc.apc.org>
> From:       Center for Holistic Management <chrm@igc.apc.org>
> Subject:    Time to "go around the room"  - Sign in -
>
> Ok, it looks like here at the center we've conquered our fear of
> technology and actually merged these two conferences successfully !

> and say hello. Let us know a bit of your background, your experience
> with Holistic Management, but particularly let us know of your
> plans, projects, wild hopes and intentions with Holistic Management.
> Perhaps even ideas on how you think this forum can serve us best...
> This is the place where we can create new territory and new
> networks. You all *are* the practitioners out there, lets use this
> resource as fully, deeply and creativly as we can !

(This is probably a good request to send out to all chrm people since
it has been awhile since we have done this and we probably have many
new people on-line with great things to share.  I am taking the
initiative to ask others on chrm-general to also do the same, if they
wish.)

I have a few minutes to finally respond to this note.  I am driving
with my wife to give a presentation about holistic management and our
Washington state project for a large group of Tilth Producers at
Leavenwoth.  I have a computer notebook on my lap, catching up with
my mail.  Pretty amazing world - what technology has done for us.

I know most of you and visa versa, however, for those I don't know,
here are some thoughts about me.

I am a Certified Educator (new lingo) and first was trained with holistic
management in 1985-86.  I have had numerous opportunities to practice
and teach holistic management including as Regional Director of Texas
and Oklahoma in 1986-87, at an Hawaiian ranch on Maui in 1987, on a
hunting ranch with exotic animals in Texas in 1988, with community work
focusing on grazing, logging, and growth management in northern California
in 1989 to 91, as the lead natural resource planner at the Colville Indian
Reservation from 1992 to 1994, and finally, with the Kellogg Project
from 1995 to present.

All my work has been designed to give me a deep understanding of
practicing holistic management and facilitating it's use as a decision
making process from individual and small operations to large entities at a
societal level.  My recent work with the Colville Tribe gave me the
opportunity to fine tune my skills in a "national" setting.  I have learned
much.  I have set a personal objective of seeing the United States
government practicing holistic management, as the Coville Tribe is
beginning to do, by 2005.

I am currently the Project Coordinator for the Kellogg funded Washington
State University Holistic Management Project.  We are approaching our
half way mark in our four year project.  I am extremely pleased with the
progress to date and the influence and presence we are having throughout
Washington, the Northwest, the US, and internationally.

Don Nelson and a team of people from Washington developed the original
proposal by January 1994 at which time I joined our work at the tribe
with the statewide effort.  We are building capacity in 158 people (plus)
across our state.  50% of our people are ranchers/farmers, about 20% work
for a reservation, 15% are government employees, 10% work for the
university, and 5% represent the environmental community.  The group is
very diverse.  Our expectations are for these people to become, first,
practitioners, then teachers of holistic management.  Our expectations are
being realized.

One of my major focuses is "how" to get people, from the individual level
up to a societal level, to adopt the holistic decision making model.
My hope is that I can be instrumental in creating a better world for
my children.  I believe simply being exposed to the holistic decision
making model doesn't change people's behaviors.

Consequently, looking at the weak link in adopting holistic decision
making, I am using the consensus building process to shift people's
beliefs, which changes their behaviors, and consequently affects their
strategies and actions.

My hope it that this conference is a place of continued learning and
growth for people who want to provide the highest quality of holistic
management learning experiences.  One concern I have for this
conference is that people using it learn not to tell others "the right way".
As I see it, everyone sees the world as they are, not as the world is.  I am
getting enough age and experience in my life now to have observed that
even the "experts" change, grow and learn with time.  Individuals who
said "it can only be done this way", now do it "that" way.  And vis a versa.

So, a request to all who use this conference, respect other people.  It
will keep this listserv as a place to learn, grow, and become enriched.

Thank you for the opportunity to respond.

Jeff Goebels (I think although I have only the return mail address) has
shared an interesting perspective on HM, with access to a ever increasing
network of people.
                   Vic Guest.