[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TH: too late (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 17:09:37 -0500 (EST)
From: RT Ellsberry <flora@Flora.Com>
To: Community-Forestry <Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com>
Subject: Re: TH: too late

 Sorry to hear about the downing of the Bradford Pears along
 Maryland Avenue.  It's a real blow to lose your favorite street
 trees like that, but it's also very important in community
 forestry to be thinking many decades down the road.  The great
 ecologist and landscaper FLO (Frederick Law Olmstead) was working
 a hundred years ago -- on projects that still today are being
 worked out (like right here in Baltimore)!  Olmstead meditated
 deeply on green wildlife corridors, connecting his great urban
 parks.  Much later these ideas would become the geenways projects.

 Just in the area around Baltimore, the current stages of greenways
 planning are not expected to be completed for the next 30 years!

 What trees are they going to plant now?  Native trees are great
 because the better-cared-for urban trees then become a sort of
 'nusery' within their vicinity, helping to restore the original
 pre-settlement forests.  Is that cool or what?  Perhaps some of
 our readers could suggest some especially good selections.  More
 on the 'smaller' end of the scale I like the Washington Hawthorns
 which keep their beautiful red berries through the winter -- a
 living, bird-feeding Christmas Tree!  Folks - what are some good
 mid-sized street trees for the Chesapeake Bay region (USDA Zone 7).

 For our web-surfers out there, Tree-House now has an on-line digest
 search engine.  If you go to Flora's Tree-House page you can then
 click on [Archive Search Engine], enter your text and then you can re-
 trieve old postings which cover the topics that you are searching for.

 I ran a quick search on 'Bradford Pears' and immediately found the
 following article which was posted to this list back in May ...