[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Amish and Stupid comments (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 10:11:11 EDT
From: E. Ann Clark, Associate Professor <ACLARK@crop.uoguelph.ca>
To: sanet-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu, Vaughan Jones <jonesv@wave.co.nz>
Subject: Re: Amish and Stupid comments

Permit me to agree - as usual - with Vaughn Jones and others who have
been offended by the tenor of these comments.  When I initially read
them, I was upset to think that someone would find humor in them, but
didn't take time to respond.  Now, with a new year and a fresh start
in our hands, I'd like to encourage people to see the merit in the
traditional wisdom, respect for human dignity,  and enormous ingenuity
of the Amish, Mennonite,  Hutterite, and other communities that have
declined to embrace - for whatever reason - the attitudes and
approaches of their contemporaries - in agriculture and in life in
general.

Those of you who participate in GRAZE-L will be familiar with the
admiring comments of my (virtual) friend F.W. Owen about the Amish of
Homerville, Ohio.  This is not a man who gives away his admiration
easily, and he doesn't suffer fools gladly.  He has taken time to write out
some of the things that he has seen on the farms of his neighbors who are
Amish, and to share them with us on GRAZE-L.

For myself, I lived for a time in Alberta and came to respect the
Hutterite peoples there.  They are often the very best farmers on the
area, with the very latest in equipment and farm practices.  Unlike
the Amish and Mennonite, they willingly use tractors and electricity,
but their stewardship ethic is similar.

When I spoke this past spring in Michigan, I was astounded to see
perhaps 20 Mennonite couples in attendence - out of an audience of
perhaps 450.  They were all modestly attired in black, and tended to
sit together in 1 or 2 rows, but would speak to the "others" (us) in
both casual and professional conversation.  What struck me, as an
outsider, was the profound level of mutual respect that was apparent
between the husband and wife in each couple.  This came across in
many subtle ways, as they would quietly converse about something on
the screen or during coffee breaks.  The body language implicit in
their interactions was in stark contrast to my ill-informed
presumption of a harshly patriarchical society.  Their gentle,
respectful tone when conversing with me and others is also a strong
memory of that conference.

In sum, while I am not of their religion, and have little personal
contact with the Amish, Mennonite, or other communities that live
apart from "us" - and while I do not doubt that there are aspects of
their culture which I would find insupportable - I nonetheless value,
even treasure, the contacts that I have had with them.  They and
their way of life are a valuable resource to agriculture and to the
environment.  Ann

ACLARK@crop.uoguelph.ca
Dr. E. Ann Clark
Associate Professor