RE: northern climate

April Sampson-Kelly (askpv@ozemail.com.au)
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 11:02:24 +-1000

I remember Norway fondly, and have a friend in Sweden who
is into native foods.
I think one should always look at native vegetation - it's traditional
uses as building, weaving, clothing material, as well as food.
As to the topics that are bantered about, with enough interest
the group speaks about nearly anything.
Quite obviously, when we look at bio-diversity and diversity is a BIG
part of our sustainability in food supplies and of course permaculture
design, we find that in nature there is greater diversity near the tropics.
But people need food where they are, and if people are indeed
cold or hungry then permaculture will be practiced and talked about there.
I have seen topics related to your neighbouring countries like Finland
on Aquaculture (Polyculture).
But on the whole,
most people must be pretty comfortable with the way things are,
In Australia it is our concern for the environment rather than hunger or cold
that stimulates action.
April

----------
From: Xavier Dequaire[SMTP:xavierd@sn.no]
Sent: Thursday, 17 April 1997 2:55
To: permaculture@envirolink.org
Subject: northern climate

Any body with experience in design for nordic countries?

that is 60 degrees north,
short summers with long days
cold and dark winters with several month with frozen grounds,
I am in first place interested in plants as the vegetation is concerned
and energy solutions as the buildings are concerned.

I am in Norway, next to the fjord of Oslo.

yours

Xavier

PS. what are those favas? Are they kinds of beans?
So far the debate though exotic is quite remote to my preoccupations, and
bermuda grass!